starting the XR650R without the pain

5 replies to this topic
  • TX-SANDMAN

Posted October 04, 2001 - 06:43 PM

OK I WILL ADMIT THE XR STARTS OK, BUT NOT ANY BETTER THEN MY XR600 ... ALL THE MAGS SAY THIS THING HAS SOME KIND OF A NEW EASY START DE-COMP BUILT IN. SO HERE ARE MY TWO QUESTIONS FOR THE ANYONE IN THE KNOW:
1. I KEEP HEARING ABOUT THIS AUTO - DECOMPRESSION THAT IS AUTOMATIC. LIKE JUST KID THE LEVER AND THE BIKE WILL START. MY NEW BIKE SOMETIMES KICKES THROUGH WITH OUT HITTING THE TYPICAL COMP STROKE FEEL. BUT 9 OUT OF 10 TIMES I HIT THE COMP STROKE PULL THE DE-COMP LEVER AND GO AT IT LIKE ALL MY OTHER 4 STROKES (YES THIS IS MY 5TH HONDA BIG BORE). AM I MISSING SOMETHING? (DR'S HAVE A NEAT WAY OF WORKING BUT A BUDDY WITH A DR WILL HAVE TO SHOW YOU HOW IT WORKS "THE RIGHT WAY").

2. THE THING WILL NOT START AFTER A SMALL LAY-OVER. I AM TALKING VERY MINOR. WILL A HOT START BUTTON HELP?

ANY INPUT WILL CERTAINLY HELP.

• hourout

Posted October 07, 2001 - 06:56 PM

i had the same problem and it dnf'ed me out of an eduro! first of all im not sure what your doing with the decompresion lever? here is my procedure, pull the lever once if you have to at all but usualy i don't. kick slowley till you lock up on top dead center. then give it a good shot with no throttle imput.

also it is hard after any dump to start wile hot. i strongly recomend a hot start kit from ty davis. at www.ziptyracing.com, you might want your local dealers help with the install because you need to drill into the intake manifold. good luck!

• buffaman

Posted October 10, 2001 - 04:26 PM

you want to fix that problem and some other problems with the stock carb ????? them you should put a edelbrock/quicksilver carb on your bike. it doesn't flood out when you fall, starts much much easier and picks up more horse power...call edelbrock and they will educate you on why they carb is better than the rest. there # is 909-654-6677 x 244

good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TX-SANDMAN

Posted October 10, 2001 - 06:53 PM

so from the from what you are saying you start your 650R just like any big 4 stroke in the past 20 years. what about this new honda easy to start thing? does anyone think the new 650R starts any easy than the 600R. or should i ask do you use a differnt process? thanks ahead for any input.

• Grant_Gall

Posted October 11, 2001 - 07:04 AM

I was riding a friends XR600R for three days a couple of weeks ago. I had never ridden this bike before.

His instructions to start the bike when cold was:
Full choke, just crack the gas and kick until it fires. Ususally 6 - 7 kicks.
When hot;
Just crack the gas and kick 4 - 5 times.
When hot after being on it's side;
Pull in the de-comp lever, three very slow kicks - no more, no less - let go of the lever, 1 - 2 really strong kicks.

The bike never let me down.

• tonytexas

Posted October 16, 2001 - 06:37 PM

Originally posted by DR'sarenotjunk:
so from the from what you are saying you start your 650R just like any big 4 stroke in the past 20 years. what about this new honda easy to start thing? does anyone think the new 650R starts any easy than the 600R. or should i ask do you use a differnt process? thanks ahead for any input.

I used to have the all xr's,83 xl 500,95 xr 600,97 xr 400,2000 wr 400,2000 xr 650. All my thumpers easy to start,the wr 400 seem to be a little trickier when hot or after fail
down,usually the xr 650r will start up at secound kick after the engine killed.that because the last revolution that engine have
to fight with the last compression stroke before engine stop,so chances are most of the time you will start at the first kick if you not in hurry and miss the comp.stroke.
My point is No Hurry on starting the thumper,the more you hurry the harder thumper
will start up for you(hard head) and you will not be able to ride after it start up.
Hope this help,it just my oppinion.
Tony

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.