Pics of Carved foam tank

9 replies to this topic
  • Nate_R

Posted September 09, 2004 - 09:31 PM

Here are some pics of the foam tank I carved to use as a positive mold to wrap kevlar around. I made a mold with plaster of paris of the underside of the stock tank and filled it with expanding foam. Then I glued a block of foam on top of the molded foam and freehand carved the shape of the tank to my liking.It took a few hours to make. i still need to finnish off the edges in a couple of places and smooth it out some more before its ready to cover. I spray painted it black to get a better idea how the finnished product will look. Now I just need to order some kevlar and resin and I'll have a tank. I'll post pics of the finnished
product when done. Posted Image

• Nate_R

Posted September 09, 2004 - 09:38 PM

I made it quite a bit slimmer and lower than the stock tank and am guessing the capacity is around 1.5 - 2 gal.

• erg01426

Posted September 09, 2004 - 10:41 PM

Looks good!

• Hamish

Posted September 10, 2004 - 01:46 AM

well done :thumbsup: Wanna frieght one to oz when u r done?? heheh I'd settle for a plastic tank with no cracks in it at the moment.

• Nate_R

Posted September 10, 2004 - 09:23 AM

I'm going to be making a 2 piece negative mold of the tank before I cover it so if I want to make more tanks all i'll have to do is inject expanding foam into the mold. If the finnished product is durable and the design works well, I may make some more, depending on cost. Right now kevlar and carbon fiber are in high demand cause of the war or some crap, and there is a world shortage of both. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nate_R

Posted September 10, 2004 - 09:36 AM

I thought about making the bottom of the tank even lower like the IMS one ( It is only a couple inches above the header), but thought that it would be closer to the header than I would be comfortable with. Also it would cover too
much of the engine head and maybe not let heat escape as much. Plus I'm not sure what good it does having fuel below the carb unless you have a fuel pump. I will be making a composite auxillary tank that goes under the raised airbox
that I will also be making with composits. It will be around 3/4 gal and will use a small 12 v fuel pump that will automatically pump gas in the main tank when the level gets low. I also thought about using the swing arm to hold gas. It has 2 small weep holes on either side infront of the rear axle. It would be easy to seal up and run hoses to.
Only problems with this I can think of are: 1) Extra un-sprung weight would have slight negative effects on suspension 2) I'm not sure what would happen with all that fuel sloshing around for extended periods of time in a forceful manner. 3) The swingarm might get a little hot from excessive rear brake heat transfering into it. If these turned out not to be a problem it would be awesome to have the fuel that low on the bike. I think the swing arm could hold a gallon or so. :thumbsup:

• simch

Posted September 10, 2004 - 02:03 PM

Fuel in the swinger would be bad for unsprung weight, I reckon. When they bring the ally frame out it would be good in there.

• vantolr

Posted September 10, 2004 - 05:02 PM

i like it, too..... :thumbsup: good idea

• Gadsen

Posted September 10, 2004 - 05:40 PM

Cant you just delete your coolant recovery bottle, set it up like a YZ, then use the recovery bottle for extra gas? After seeing this, the thought came to my mind. I know there is an outfit that makes the replacement rear number panesl that are actually gas tanks too.

• Nate_R

Posted September 10, 2004 - 06:02 PM

Thats not too bad an idea. I really like having the coolant overflow though so it doesnt spill on the ground. I've seen the number plate tanks. Those would be REALLy exposed in a crash. The reason I want to put an auxiliary tank below the airbox is to get the fuel weight as low as possible.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.