Building the best dual sport kit???

4 replies to this topic
  • Swedisheagle

Posted October 01, 2001 - 03:11 PM

I am currently trying to figure out the best way to go to get my 01' XR650 dual sported. My requirements are:

1. Easy to installation. (some tinkering OK)

2. Fits cleanly. (wiring harness & such)

3. Looks like it belongs on the bike ((color & style) I don't want it to look like Frankenstein). I would even prefer to use existing headlight & tail light with modifications.

4. Be mostly legal. :)

5. It needs to be as reliable as the bike it's going on.

6. I know it won't be cheap but I'm not made of $

Does this sound reasonable or have I been riding at the back of the pack to long & sucking up too much dust. Some others on this site have mentioned all kinds of equipment. Is it best to just by the Baja designs kit, install it to get it registered, then replace parts I don't want with others I like better? Or should I buy it bit by bit till I get all the parts I want then intall those?

--------------------------------------------
gtms34 posted:

If your interested, I have tried lots of different lights etc. for dual sport. The only BD parts I'm using are the master switch, main harness, and regulator. I modified the stock tail light to make it brake/tail, I made the stock headlight a dual element. I'm running Lockhart mini signals. See if Baja will make you a partial or cutsom kit. Their kit is well made but I want more stealth. I'm going to sell the Baja signals, mounts, headlight, tail/brake light, etc.
Look at poor mans dual sport kit on the DR page. If you like to tinker this looks like a cheaper way to go.

Talk to you later,
Kevin
--------------------------------------------

I've seen kevin's set up & it looks good. I like the mini-signals & BD master switch but I dont know if the signals are legal (will the DMV have to inspect the bike) and Kevin said the switch had gone out a couple of times on him. (BD took care of it every time though)

What have you guys out there done and used? Please post any websites, recommendations, or info about things you liked or didn't like.

Thanks guys,
Mike

• Matt96xr6

Posted October 02, 2001 - 05:13 PM

The DSK from Baja designs is really nice on the xr650! They have a new headlight that is much better looking than the acerbis one. Looks like a stocker but with a bit larger headlight. Also the rear taillight is like a mudflap mounted under the fender. It looks way good!

I would personally order the kit without the front blinkers. Buy some of the FSO handgaurds with the blinker built into them in the color you want. On the rear, just mount them to the fender or get the flush mounted ones (not DOT). That is going to be the easiest and cleanest looking way to do it that I can see. If you dont want the rear mudflap/taillight setup, you could convert the rear light over to a 3 wire setup and I guess screw the plate to the fender.

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com

new headlight:
http://www.fourstrok...BDRedFront.html

hand guards with turn signals: http://www.fourstrok...Handguards.html

Flush mount turn signals: http://www.fourstrok...ightFlushM.html

[This message has been edited by Matt96xr6 (edited October 02, 2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gtms34

Posted October 04, 2001 - 12:44 PM

Hey Mike,
Your in Long Beach right? I'd be up for getting together and building a kit. We can duplicate my wiring harness. I've got 4 or 5 turn signal ideas. Some legal, some not :). You can buy the main switch, headlight, regulator, etc from BJD or FSO. I'd sell you my BJD signals and headlight if that works for you.

Best of luck,

Kevin

• Trick_Dual_Sport

Posted October 05, 2001 - 02:24 PM

Give me a call if you need some help. My web page is www.trickdualsport.com . There is a minimun list of parts you need, Call me.

• Swedisheagle

Posted October 15, 2001 - 08:09 AM

Thanks guys. I'm kinda on hold for a few more weeks. My sister was just out here for three weeks from Germany with her son. Her husband is in the army and he was unable to come. Now my son is having surgery this Fri. (Nothing life threatning just cosmetic), so I'll be dealing with him on that leaving me no time for my bike. I'll get back to you Kevin to take you up on your offer.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.