constantly ripping valve stems off.

16 replies to this topic
  • tool

Posted September 09, 2004 - 06:39 PM

i am using a michelin m 12 rear, and i think a motion pro(?) rim lock. the lock is all rubber on the outside and its always tight, but i have torn the valve stem off of 2 ultra heavy duty tubes.
and the tire is spinning on the rim again! both the valve stem and the rim lock are angled like they are twisting from acceleration. :thumbsup: this is from one day at the track.
is it the tire or the rimlock? or do i need to drill another hole and use 2 rimlocks? :devil:

• SFO

Posted September 09, 2004 - 06:59 PM

There are 2 rimlocks on the rear wheel stock.
Make sure your rimlock is compatable with the rim and engages the inner bead properly.

• B86_Racer

Posted September 09, 2004 - 07:05 PM

There is only one rim lock on the YZ's; 2 on the WR's.

• motocrosschump

Posted September 10, 2004 - 05:20 AM

don't tighten your valve stem nut and try that.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted September 10, 2004 - 07:22 AM

I have (2) rim locks on my 02 YZ426F....... Matter of fact I just replaced one of them last weekend because the stem had moved a bit.

I also bought some way cool rimlock adapters from FASSTCO that are supposed to keep that from hapening again.

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• sparks426

Posted September 10, 2004 - 07:46 AM

SFO is pointing you in the right direction - the rim lock is likely for a smaller rim. My stock YZ rim has provisions for two rim locks, but came with one from the factory. If you can, get a factory rim lock. The tip on not tightening the valve stem nut is very important too. I usually finger tighten the nut against the valve stem cap, as I find if it's loose it can vibrate back down against the rim. If it's loose, you can have some slippage and not rip the stem.

• YZDAD1

Posted September 10, 2004 - 09:02 AM

Make sure the rim lock is the correct match for your rim. I.E.: 2.15 rim lock for 2.15 rim (it's on the lock) a 1.85 on a 2.15 or a 2.15 on a 2.5 will do exactly what you are experiencing. Also, Hondas have a neat sleeve that slides over the valve stem instead of using the lock nut.

• YZDAD1

Make sure the rim lock is the correct match for your rim. I.E.: 2.15 rim lock for 2.15 rim (it's on the lock) a 1.85 on a 2.15 or a 2.15 on a 2.5 will do exactly what you are experiencing. Also, Hondas have a neat sleeve that slides over the valve stem instead of using the lock nut.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZDAD1

• TimFurryBalls

Posted September 10, 2004 - 11:44 AM

I think we heard you already.

• motocrosschump

Posted September 10, 2004 - 12:40 PM

you may want to "Make sure the rim lock is the correct match for your rim. I.E.: 2.15 rim lock for 2.15 rim (it's on the lock) a 1.85 on a 2.15 or a 2.15 on a 2.5 will do exactly what you are experiencing. Also, Hondas have a neat sleeve that slides over the valve stem instead of using the lock nut. "

Just Kidding YZDAD

• Smegol

Posted September 10, 2004 - 01:52 PM

It happens all the time on mine. When I notice it getting bad I just put the bike up on the stand, deflate the rear tube, loosen the rimlock and put it in 1st gear. Then I grab the tyre and spin it anticlockwise. One good pull is enough to straighten the valve stem up. :devil: :thumbsup:

• tool

Posted September 10, 2004 - 02:22 PM

ive heard of that trick and im gonna try it. i was sure to get a 2.15 rimlock, and i tighten that SOB down. im running 16 psi in the back too.
ill be sure to get a factory rimlock, maybe 2. at least now i know what that rubber plug is on the rim. :thumbsup:
i thought it was the inferior michelin causing it, because its been giving me nothing but problems since i mounted it... ive gone through 5 tubes on this one tire.

• YZDAD1

Posted September 10, 2004 - 05:34 PM

Hey! I really don't know what happend...........happend..........happend.........happend, oh now i do.......... :thumbsup:

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 11, 2004 - 05:17 AM

How much pressure are you running out of curiosity? I vote rim locks too. My 01' is in the boat that came with a rim with 2 holes for rim locks but only one installed.

A second trick for straitening the tire, that also works on the front, is put it on the stand to freewheel (neutral) and give it a good spin. Then slam on the brakes. The tire should rotate back into place (assuming you spun it the correct direction). Also make sure the tire is deflated.

• tool

Posted September 11, 2004 - 12:04 PM

Hey! I really don't know what happend...........happend..........happend.........happend, oh now i do.......... :thumbsup:

:devil:

• rbm33

Posted September 13, 2004 - 04:34 AM

you need to go with 2 rimlocks and dont tighten the valve stem nut!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.