Broken Right Foot Peg

7 replies to this topic
  • rparks

Posted October 01, 2001 - 05:46 AM

Has anyone broken off their right foot peg bracket on a 650? This is the second one where I have broken off the bolt in my frame! Not fun!!!

• gtms34

Posted October 01, 2001 - 06:20 AM

I have not had it happen yet. The 600-650 is notorious for this. First, be sure all the washers are where they belong. Honda issued a service bulletin about washers being left out of the mount when the bikes are assembled. Next, check the torque every ride. Mine have loosened/stretched several times. Last, is your suspension too soft? If the bike is bottoming that energy has to go somewhere else like tires, rims, chassis, your body, etc.

HTH,

Kevin

• Keyser_Zoze

Posted October 01, 2001 - 09:31 PM

Originally posted by gtms34:
I have not had it happen yet. The 600-650 is notorious for this. First, be sure all the washers are where they belong. Honda issued a service bulletin about washers being left out of the mount when the bikes are assembled. Next, check the torque every ride. Mine have loosened/stretched several times. Last, is your suspension too soft? If the bike is bottoming that energy has to go somewhere else like tires, rims, chassis, your body, etc.

HTH,

Kevin

Call Baja Designs and ask for Tex. HE has the cure for this. I don't remember what it was otherwise I'd share it.

• BiggDave650

Posted December 07, 2001 - 05:55 PM

well.. i think this is a design flaw. They shoulda made it bulletproof for the big boys. Anyone else have problems of breaking the footpeg bolts off in the frame? Well, my cure was get some grade 8 bolts :D .. If it breaks off again. I need to loose weight. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ToddW

Posted December 07, 2001 - 07:36 PM

I haven't had a problem with breaking the bolts off but, I've bent a set.

• Dust_Maker

Posted December 13, 2001 - 07:39 AM

my dad just bought a new drz 400e so i became an instant owner of a 96 xr 600. This is my first four stroke so i was excited about comparing it to my 500 cc two strokes. The first thing i noticed was the weight. At speed, i feel like i'm a runaway locomotive with every little thing being an impact rather then an obstacle. I took the bike to my favorite desert area and the first thing i noticed was a PING from my front end as i cranking down this straight that had tons of medium sized rocks. The straight ends with a huge jump and i sheared off the left side foot peg upon landing. After almost crashing my brains out and stopping to say a prayer, I noticed not only was the peg (white brothers) sheared off but the front rim now had a 6 inch crack/split in it. I loaded the bike back into the truck and spent the rest of the day riding my 2 stroke. Arriving home, i backed the truck up into my driveway to unload the bikes. My driveway is at an angle and you really dont need a ramp because the drop is only about 8 inches. As i wheeled the xr off the gate onto the driveway, I heard a loud snap as the rear wheel touched the cement. Looking down i noticed the rear shock spring had snapped/broke. One ride and i need foot pegs, front rim and a rear shock spring. This is harsh on my wallet to say the least. I'm jumbo sized myslef and was thinking maybe the overall weight of the bike and myself have something to do with all this. Any thoughts out there?

• jamesp

Posted December 13, 2001 - 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Dust Maker:
I'm jumbo sized myslef and was thinking maybe the overall weight of the bike and myself have something to do with all this. Any thoughts out there?

I don't know what you consider "jumbo sized" but you must be freakin' huge to shear off a welded footpeg, crack a rim, and break a shock spring in just one ride.

Is it possible that sombody did a little hacksaw work in order to end your life?

• dan_Rekito

Posted December 19, 2001 - 06:19 PM

These bikes will bottom without going very high and if you land in a rut the foot pegs will scrape the ground thats how I bent mine.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.