'00 XR650R backfires, crackles, and pops!

3 replies to this topic
  • tmgolden

Posted September 30, 2001 - 10:37 AM

I have a California model XR650R and have made the following adjustments:

1) Removed neccessary airbox baffle
2) Installed Applied emissions block off plate
2) Installed Baja Designs 'Power Up' kit which included replacing:
a. Carb manifold (now unrestricted)
b. Needle (currently set to middle clip position)
c. Main Jet (now at 170)
d. Exhaust baffle (now unrestricted)

The problem, in all gears when I shut down the throttle to decelerate, I get popping, crackling, and backfiring noises. It isn't so much a performance problem as it is really irritating - the bike has great power through all gears; however, I am inclined to think perhaps I am running too rich.

I am hoping someone else has experienced this problem and can document what they did to remedy the situation. This would save me countless carb removal/replacements fiddling around to isolate the fix.

Oh yeah, the fuel mixture screw is set at 1.5 turns out.

Thanks in advance,

Tim Golden

[This message has been edited by tmgolden (edited September 30, 2001).]

• Dutch

Posted September 30, 2001 - 04:16 PM

Try 3 turns out fuel mixture. What is your pilot jet?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Trailryder42

Posted September 30, 2001 - 05:27 PM

Your problem indicates a lean condition, not a rich one.

Derek

• gtms34

Posted October 01, 2001 - 06:03 AM

My 650 did the same thing. I changed to a 68S pilot jet. The bike starts better and the decell backfires are gone. Be sure you get a "68S".

HTH,

Kevin

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.