Best Gearing For Woods?

2 replies to this topic
  • dgrimmy

Posted September 28, 2001 - 07:32 AM

What is the best gearing for an 2000 XR 600 in the woods? By woods I mean primarily 2nd gear single track riding w/ some pretty good climbs, downhills and switchbacks. Very rarely is there opportunity to let it rip in 3rd or higher but it's occassionally in 1st.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rhh4

Posted September 28, 2001 - 08:38 AM

I live in Nort AZ and ride mostly tight woody single track with alot of up and down hills on a xr6. I currently am running a 14 50, tried 13 50 but too low. With 14 50 stays in second most of the time even at near stops.

• Matt96xr6

Posted September 29, 2001 - 05:49 AM

I personally just run a 13 tooth front sprocket from the stock 14 tooth. Cuts down the top end, but down low it keeps me in second and third more.

So it as at 13-48. Runs really well offroad! just took at 55 mile dualsport ride up to the trees, thru them and back. Bike still tops at 80mph. With a stock tank and am 2/3 the way thru it now. I assume putting back the 14 tooth up front would help mileage a bit. But I am pleased.

[This message has been edited by Matt96xr6 (edited September 29, 2001).]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.