01,xr 650l head problems unlike any other

2 replies to this topic
  • ridinfast

Posted September 09, 2004 - 07:01 AM

hello,my exhaust valve seat on decompresor side has become lose ,was making a tapping noise for awile then locked sideways causing some serious noise a long push home :cry:has any one else experianced this and could it be do to the decomp also can the seat be put back and locked in?any advice is always welcomed and appreciated ty?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted September 11, 2004 - 10:56 AM

The seat actually came out of the head? I've heard of them sinking into the head, but not falling out. Only thing I can figure is it wasnt pressed in quite tight enough and eventually worked loose. If the seat pocket hasnt been wallowed out or wasnt too bigh to begin with, then it should be repairable. Remachining of the pocket and installing of an oversized seat would be ideal. I work in a machine shop so I could personally make one and cut the head if I needed, but I dont know of any for the consumer market. Also, it shouldnt be decompressor related if its not adjusted too tight. Even then, it should just burn the valve.

• MotoChris521

Posted September 13, 2004 - 05:37 AM

The exact same thing happened to my XL600R.Right ex. valve seat popped loose.I ended up just staking it in and it worked,but i would recommend having it done by a machine shop or sending it to XR's Only(i think they can fix it) :thumbsup:

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.