Think I'm In Trouble

1 reply to this topic
  • dgrimmy

Posted September 17, 2001 - 06:03 AM

Change the sparkplug on my XR 600 this weekend and think I inadvertently knocked some dirt into the hole, put the plug back in, fired it up. I ran for a couple seconds and quit and has not restarted since.

What have I done, how can I (or the dealer) fix it, what'll it cost? It still sparks but won't light so it must be fuel related, no?

Thanks for the help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Victor_Venturo

Posted September 19, 2001 - 12:43 AM

Grimmy: A little dirt should not break the engine. Does it not have compression? If so it may be one of the valves has some dirt holding it open. Did you try bump starting it? A third gear tow may dislodge the culprit. With the plug out for easier towing. How about a compression check? Is the plug wet? If so it is getting fuel.
Try a few tests yourself and learn as you go. Did you change anything besides the plug? Make sure the wire is snapped to the cap properly and not damaged. Some guys remove the resistor inside the cap behind the brass plug and replace it with a similar sized piece of copper wire or aluminum.If that is the problem then get a new resistor cap for a few bucks.
Not that much can go wrong all at once. Was the bike was running just before the problem. If it was sitting then change the gasoline and drain the carb. That is usually the problem with most no starts. If it sat long then remove the bowl and jets and clean the jets. Especally if the bike has compression. Then it would not be related to the dirt in the plug hole.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.