oil mess 650 r

3 replies to this topic
  • hourout

Posted September 16, 2001 - 02:43 PM

there has got to be a better way to judge how much oil is in the filler neck and funnel. i just over spilled and watched the oil run down the frame on to the head! now i have smoke all over the place! i only used two qurts.

• Matt96xr6

Posted September 16, 2001 - 03:00 PM

haha. experience, time and practice.

Make sure after the first quart goes down, you pump the kick starter over a few times. Just go slow and measure often. I have done that a few times on my 600. Hopefully someone will have a better solution than mine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gtms34

Posted September 17, 2001 - 07:22 AM

I can offer you this: the XR650R only holds about 1.8qts of oil. If you try to put 2 in, it will happen every time. :) Matt's suggestion about cycling kick starter is right on. That is how I do it. I put 1qt in, hold the comp. release, kick about 15 times, then top it off. I wish it was easier too. The first time I changed my oil I made a huge mess. It took several months to get the residue out of the radiator fins.

• baxterj787

Posted September 17, 2001 - 08:03 AM

One additional trick I used on my former XR600 was to wrap a rag around the filler tower. That way, when (not if) I spilled, the rag caught the oil, not the fram and head.

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  57 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.