FORK SPRING REPLACEMENT

3 replies to this topic
  • ZEKEDAWG

Posted September 08, 2004 - 04:21 PM

To replace the fork springs do I need to remove the fork tubes from the bike or can I leave them on? The manual says to do this and that but I am not doing a complete rebuild. All I want to do is put in some heavier springs and maybe add oil if needed. It seems as if you need to measure the oil with the springs out and the forks completely compressed. I guess if i want to add oil to a certain level then I will need to get those fork tubes level, so I think that answers that question. BUt if I just want to add 10 ml to each side I wouldn't think that being level would matter.

What do you think?

• Bluebomber

Posted September 08, 2004 - 04:38 PM

You don't need to remove the fork tubes from the triple clamps. Loosen the top triple clamps so you can take the cap off the fork tubes. Then you can push up on the front wheel a little bit and you will be able to get at the fork springs, it's easy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 5valve

Posted September 09, 2004 - 07:32 AM

hi zekedawg (dirttrails?)
stock oil height is 12,5 cm to outer tube with fully compressed forks and with the spring removed, so if you want to measure oil level while not removing the forks, just remove the wheel and do the stuff bluebomber told you
then place the bike to stand on the forks and rear wheel
(youll have problems lifting it up)
10 ml of oil is as I think similar to zero
I did my forks recently and measured 1 cm of oil level (from 11,5 to 12,5) was near 40ml, maybe a bit less(I spilt some, while changing oil..)

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted September 09, 2004 - 12:08 PM

Yes from dirttrails.

I just got the springs in from the Thumpertalk store and I am going to install them tonight. I will let you know how it goes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.