f*ckin' throttle cables...

32 replies to this topic
  • yzf_rider400

Posted September 13, 2004 - 04:43 PM

Helping me out again yzman400, thanks! I'm going to try the top of the line motion pros and see how they work out. :thumbsup:

• yzf_rider400

Posted October 05, 2004 - 10:45 AM

o.k., I bought myself a set of motion pros. I've got the throttle to return on its own but the throttle pull tension is still not close to as strong as on my bros 250F. I've pretty much maxed out the tension setting on the cables and the tube is not binding.

What the hell can I do about this? I don't think my throttle pull was ever as strong as on the 250F but I'd like to have a bit more.

Would pre-winding the springs on the carb armature help create a greater throttle pull? Probably not but I'm really stumped.

It could have been something I did, but I really doubt I put the carb together wrong seems to be right (as per the manual). Believe me I've checked and checked and checked.

Any and all hypothetical causes and suggestions are desperately needed. Thanks! :cry:

• TimFurryBalls

Posted October 05, 2004 - 12:02 PM

My half hour throttle housing cleaning turned into a 2 1/2 hour job last night. Found a frayed cable near the throttle stops. Luckily I had a brand new Motion Pro cable at hand. Installed it and the damn throttle would not return at all! It was stiff, and one cable barely fit to the carb side! I played with it for about an hour, before I decided to replace just one cable (the lower, adjustable cable) with the Motion Pro stuff, and I eneded up leaving the stock cable on top. After that, the tight cables were fixed and the throttle would return. I think I'm sticking with OEM next time. Seems Motion Pro may make their stuff slightly out of spec, which can cause problems.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted October 05, 2004 - 03:16 PM

Beat me on this one. I am stumped. Never had that problem. Only throttle cable problem was from over rotateing the throttle forward (caused I stuffed the front end into something and almost went over the bars) and snapped the return cable......twice. But since switching to the Motion pro I havent had that problem anymore (maybe cause I havent went over the bars lately :cry: Naahhhhh :cry:)

Check to see if the carb snaps shut without the cables. THen put on the pull only cable and seei f it works with just that. Then the return cable only and see what happend. Eliminate the possibilitys 1 by 1. Whatever is left over has gotta be the problem.

• dodge03

Posted October 05, 2004 - 05:03 PM

IF YOU WANT A STRONGER PULL TRY REMOVING THE SLIDE SPRING AND STRETCHING IT A LITTLE THIS WORKED FOR ME.

• yzf_rider400

Posted October 05, 2004 - 08:21 PM

The carb shuts fine when not connected to the cables as well as when the return cable is taken off.

That's not the problem though. The thing snaps shut fine. but I just can't get enough resistence between the push and pull cables or the carb springs (???) to get a nice firm throttle action.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf_rider400

Posted October 05, 2004 - 08:24 PM

dodge03, I might have a try at that. Is throttle pull related to the tightness of the cables or the springs on the carb though? I would think most of the tension comes from the cables, but I could be wrong.

• dodge03

Posted October 05, 2004 - 08:31 PM

THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANNY TENSION ON EITHER CABLE THE ADJUSTMENT IS THERE TO REMOVE SLACK IN THE CABLES. ADJUST THEM FINGER TIGHT UNTILL ALL THE SLACK IS GONE THEN BACK EACH ONE OFF ABOUT HALF A TURN. STRETCHING THE SPRING WILL HELP THE SLIDE SNAP SHUT QUICKER. :cry:

• yzf_rider400

Posted October 05, 2004 - 09:25 PM

gotcha, it's worth a shot. Should I stretch both of them? I think I asked this same question previously in this thread (asking if they might need replacing) and was told no.

• yzf_rider400

Posted October 06, 2004 - 12:49 PM

well I stretched the springs and whadya know, the throttle pull got stronger. Still not as strong as my bro's 250F but considerably better. I guess I could have kept on stretching but was worried I might over do it.

Do you know if the FCR2 carbs are noted for having a stronger throttle pull or are my FCR1 springs just too old and tired?

I maybe I should re-title this thread f'ing carb springs! Thanks for the help dodge03. :cry: :cry:

• Fastest1

Posted October 07, 2004 - 04:43 AM

Look at it this way, if the return spring was stronger it would take more effort to go faster. Why would you want that? :cry:

• MAC426

Posted October 07, 2004 - 05:09 AM

I just took my carb apart and found that if I sprayed carb cleaner in the slide the gasket in between the slide parts expands and deforms a bit. It causes friction if it moves out of place. Open the slide, check it out and get a new gasket if needed. It is simple to do. It help my throttle pull like new. Good luck.

• yzf_rider400

Posted October 07, 2004 - 08:38 AM

I don't think my slide gasket is not causing any extra friction but it's worth a look (at some point). I really think it was just my springs.

I don't want an extremely hard to pull throttle just something that gives me a bit of tension so that my throttle doesn't "slip" around on the handlebar when riding.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.