f*ckin' throttle cables...

32 replies to this topic
  • yzf_rider400

Posted September 08, 2004 - 02:01 PM

I just reassembled my carb but when I put the throttle cables back on it, the recoil action of the carb is lost to a point. It doesn't snap shut like it's suppossed to (it does with the cables off). I'm sure I have all the springs on the carb in the right spots because it snaps shut fine without the cables.

The cables are pretty new also. This [@#$%&*!] is pissing me off. No amount of adjustment to the cables helps? What the hell is going on, pinched cable?

• brown77

Posted September 08, 2004 - 02:33 PM

Might want to check and make sure the throttle tube is not pressed up against the bars ????

just a suggestion :thumbsup:

• John_Lorenz

Posted September 08, 2004 - 03:12 PM

Might want to check and make sure the throttle tube is not pressed up against the bars ????

just a suggestion :thumbsup:

Ditto

If it still is sticking take the tube off completly and see if the cables snap free. if they do then you could had or have the cables bound around the throttle tube, or it can be a routing issue of the cables

• yzf_rider400

Posted September 08, 2004 - 03:22 PM

I took everything apart, lubed the cables and put them back on the throttle slide, sprayed down the handlebar area of the slide and reinstalled everything (making sure to get a slight space between the slide and end of the bar. I checked the routing and it's according to the manual and they are not pinching.

I did notice when I took the cables off that there was a small rock in the carburetor throttle cable groove that started to fray one of the cables a bit. The cable has a slight kink in it. Do you think this is causing it to grab ever so slightly inside the sleeve of the cable housing? (It was working fine before).

Thanks for the help guys! :thumbsup:

• John_Lorenz

Posted September 08, 2004 - 06:29 PM

If the cable is frayed then it may be bunched up in the housing

time to replace the cables :thumbsup:

• yzf_rider400

Posted September 08, 2004 - 06:44 PM

the cables are really quite new, but the small fray is at the very end of the cable right before the portion that wraps around the carb cable housing. It's just the beginning of a fray but it slides into the cable sleeve when the throttle is turned, so maybe it's getting hung up on the sleeve.

I think you're right though, time for some new cables, even though I just bought these.

• John_Lorenz

Posted September 08, 2004 - 07:12 PM

you can feel the drag of there is any damage to the cables.

Plus I think the 400 is noted for cable fray, make sure that the cable is aligned properly with the carb cam and not of kilture

• Fastest1

Posted September 08, 2004 - 07:49 PM

Take off the return cable and see if you can get the action back. If you can, you didnt have enough slack in it. The kink shouldnt make much difference unless there is fraying at the jacket.

• Lukejt

Posted September 08, 2004 - 08:28 PM

Take off the return cable and see if you can get the action back. If you can, you didnt have enough slack in it. The kink shouldnt make much difference unless there is fraying at the jacket.

Ditto. The throttle won't snap back if you have the cables too tight. There should be a few mm of play. Loosen the nuts at the carb holding the cables and give them some slack. Should start to work correctly. Retighten the nuts being careful not to pul the cable too tight again.

Lukejt:usa:

• yzf_rider400

Posted September 08, 2004 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for the continued help guys, I'm going to try to work it out tomorrow (again). I don't think the cables are off kilter; I thought about that though and will double check.

I'll also try taking off the return cable and checking that out. I should mention though that I have tried giving the return (push?) cable some extra slack as well as giving the pull cable slack and vice versa.

The fray is right at the edge of the seat so that when it is pulled it does enter the sleeve and then exit when you push the throttle forward (small fray though). I can feel a bit of a rough spot but I still can't find what's causing it; or if the rough spot is even responsible.

I'll probably end up buying some new cables and give those a go. It'll be just my luck though to find out that wasn't the problem...sheesh...I just want my bike to in sweet working order. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf_rider400

Posted September 09, 2004 - 10:23 PM

I tried out all of your suggestions. I took of the return cable off and it snapped back fine. When I use my fingers to push the cables back and forth in their jackets (disconnected from the throttle and carb) the pull cable slides freely in the jacket but the push cable is a little tight and sticks in a spot.

I also think I might be getting a sticking point in between the throttle tube and clamps. I think I'll ride it for a day and see if things don't loosen up and if that doesn't work I guess I'm looking at a new set of cables.

• Fastest1

Posted September 10, 2004 - 05:01 PM

Throttle tube binding is usually caused from tightening one screw too much and then the other, try tightening them evenly.

• jbrooks26

Posted September 10, 2004 - 05:30 PM

If you would be interested in them I have a brand new set of throttle cables for a 99 yz400f. I got them with a bike I bought from a friend and then about a month later someone stole the bike out of my garage. I don't think they would fit my 02 WR426 so I would make you a good deal on them. How much did you pay for your last set? Let me know if you are interested, I also have a stock flywheel that I would like to get rid of. It is also off of a 99 YZ400F. Thanks,

Josh

• yzf_rider400

Posted September 10, 2004 - 06:44 PM

I've got the throttle to at least return to its off position. The throttle feels a little loose though compared to my brothers '01 250F. Do you think I may need to replace the springs on the carb to get back the required throttle pull?

• Fastest1

Posted September 12, 2004 - 10:39 AM

No.

• RJB

Posted September 12, 2004 - 07:41 PM

Throttle tube binding is usually caused from tightening one screw too much and then the other, try tightening them evenly.

I'm with you on this one - spent about 2 hours one night after replacing mine wondering why it kept sticking. Got them tightened just right and everything worked great

• yzf_rider400

Posted September 13, 2004 - 09:50 AM

I made sure to tightent them very evenly and lost some of the stick from the throttle. I really think it's my cables. Routing is correct, etc., etc.

• yzf_rider400

Posted September 13, 2004 - 09:56 AM

If you would be interested in them I have a brand new set of throttle cables for a 99 yz400f. I got them with a bike I bought from a friend and then about a month later someone stole the bike out of my garage. I don't think they would fit my 02 WR426 so I would make you a good deal on them. How much did you pay for your last set? Let me know if you are interested, I also have a stock flywheel that I would like to get rid of. It is also off of a 99 YZ400F. Thanks,

Josh

After buying some new stock cables and then now having these problems, I think I'm going to try some aftermarket ones first. Thanks though. :thumbsup:

• jbrooks26

Posted September 13, 2004 - 03:32 PM

No problem, just thought I would offer. Keep me in mind.

Josh

• PumpkinHumper

Posted September 13, 2004 - 04:24 PM

After buying some new stock cables and then now having these problems, I think I'm going to try some aftermarket ones first. Thanks though

After breaking 2 sets of cables (return cable) on my 99 yz400 I went to Motion Pro cables and havent had a problem since. I like them. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.