tight woods

1 reply to this topic
  • pjensen

Posted September 02, 2001 - 04:28 PM

Right now I am riding a '96 xr600. I thought I wanted a wr400, but after I tried one I realised that what I like about the 600 is the torque and off idle snap. There are a few potential problems I see with an xr650. (most likely none of them are real concerns, but I have to ask before I spend my money)
In the march 2001 issue of Dirt Rider, they had a comment on the 650: "annoying off-idle stumble, tricky to start". Is this true? I've never heard about it anywhere else. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it was an Australian model.
It has never really crossed my mind before since my 600 is air-cooled, but will the 650 boil over riding on tight trails? My friend's wr400 doesn't boil over on the same trails I ride, so unless the 650 is more prone to overheating, it shouldn't be a problem, should it?
Besides the two things I mentioned, is there any reason the 650 would be more unmanageable in tight terrain than my 600? (Weight shouldn't be an issue as I understand the two bikes weigh about the same)
In case you were wondering, I will not just ride slow technical trails, but since the 650 has already won just about every desert race there is, I won't question it's ability in this environment.
Thanks for any input.
Phil

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hourout

Posted September 02, 2001 - 05:34 PM

i ride a wide range of offroad conditions as an enduro competitor and in my oppinion the 650r is a little tempermental. in these events it is a mix of tight woods and open roads. the bike is a very good offroad machine and it is true about being hard to start after a dump. i also have boilded it over in tight woods on very hot days. throttle snap is improved with riching up the piolt or going one size larger. it does tend to like to be roled on and provides massive power. a ty davis hot start kit from zip-ty racing corrected the "long kicking" problem and the high preasure termistat and rad cap from src.com seems to have stopped the puking. im going for the real test at the next enduro. it also handels ten times better than my xr 650L which like the 600.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  181 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.