Swing arm bearing...tell me it isn't so :)

8 replies to this topic
  • jusv

Posted September 08, 2004 - 08:25 AM

More stupid questions from XR650R newbie...I want to make sure that the swing arm bearings are greased properly. There doesn't seem to be a grease nibble anywhere. I went through some web sites and quick resolutions seems to be that I have to the swing arm from the bike to do this (which doesn't seem to be a simple operation :thumbsup: ) Tell me it is not so...is there a way to grease the swing arm bearings easily...please please ;-)

• BRP27

Posted September 08, 2004 - 09:06 AM

It has to be disassembled to grease. And it needs a special tool. Buy the tool or make your own. Here is a link to make your own http://www.xr650r.us/preload/

• BWB63

Posted September 08, 2004 - 03:38 PM

This bike comes from honda with very little (none) grease in the swing arm bearings. The is very little in the stearing stem either. They will and many, many have frozen up. There is a Honda Oil Filter & Clutch Hub Spanner
that works great for the inside spanner nut.

• BRP27

Posted September 09, 2004 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the Motion Pro link. I ordered one today. Cheap and good and I dont have to spend an afternoon making the tool. Way cool :devil: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dennisthe

Posted September 10, 2004 - 04:21 PM

It has to be disassembled to grease. And it needs a special tool. Buy the tool or make your own. Here is a link to make your own http://www.xr650r.us/preload/

I made my own sockets from Eric's page you have listed.

Good thing I checked the bearings too- one side was rusty and wearing into the collars. They wouldn't have lasted much longer. Don't forget to check the lower shock bearing too. That one was rusted with no grease left. It's not a big deal taking any of the linkage apart or putting it back together. Use a good aluminum based water-proof grease like one Bel-Ray makes.

• flyinW

Posted September 10, 2004 - 10:08 PM

I've had a few cold ones and I might be out of line here but in the olden days we used to take and drill out the spaces in the swing arms or the tops of the frameheads and thread and tap and install zerk fittings so's we could grease whatever whenever.... sure it took a little longer but once done the bearings lasted a long long time...

jus' my $.02

• BRP27

Posted September 12, 2004 - 07:45 AM

I took my swing arm apart yesterday. What a pain in the rump, just to grease the joints. How often do the swing arm bearings need to be checked? I also greased the shock linkage. None of the joints were dry all of the bearings were good. Bike is 4 months old and I avoid water crossings when I have a choice. The Motion Pro tool worked great for the Inner "king nut" I made a tool out of a socket for the outer nut. Looking back on the job I may not have had to remove the outer king nut.

• BWB63

Posted September 12, 2004 - 08:21 AM

I use a screw driver to pop it free and to send it home. All I use is that spanner wrench to put the right pressure on the inside. My bike when it was new (no miles from the dealer) I tore it down before I rode it. There was a light shean on the swing are bearings literaly almost no grease, the stearing stem had a very small amount. The kick starter nut was so loose I could tighten it with my fingers. The chain ajusters were loose. After 100 miles all the back spokes were way loose some flopping and the right peg mount was alreading coming loose. Just like everone said, these things were true. It is good for this stuff to come up alot on the group to save new BRP riders for the trouble this stuff can give the Oinker.

• drex

Posted September 12, 2004 - 05:59 PM

I finally took mine apart this last week. Made the tools per the specs on Eric's site. Using the plumbers putty helped me get the 'inner' one right. They both popped out after that, so the 'outer' was easy. Used sockets from Sears.

The bearings needed grease in a big way! My bike is a 2000 that I bought used almost two years ago. I waited waaay too long to do this. None of the bearings were frozen up or were too far gone. Ended up buying a new pivot bolt, didn't realize the 'worn' section in the middle was supposed to be there. :thumbsup:

Rolled the bearings enough with new grease that I worked out all that was left of the old.

Not too bad a task; building the tools was the most intimidating part for me, but ended up not being a big deal.

Nice to have worked through and become familiar with another part of the bike. Thanks to Eric and the others who have collected / shared info about this.

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.