Which sprocket????

14 replies to this topic
  • daverehm

Posted August 26, 2001 - 10:43 AM

My buddy has a 2001 xr250r. It is 8 months old and the front sprocket is worn and missing a tooth, the rear sprocket is worn almost to where no teeth are left. Are the stock sprockets cheap, or is it something he is doing?
Any suggestions on a good front and rear sprocket?
Thanks.
David

------------------
2001 wr250f Scotts Damper, pro tapers, throttle stop removed, baffle removed, yz timing, grey wire cut, dunlop 756's, stock jetting, bars cut 1 1/2 inch each side, bark busters, Clarke tank, yz seat
God Bless

• Matt96xr6

Posted August 26, 2001 - 01:17 PM

I have always had great luck with Renthal sprockets and bars! Ran them for years without maintenance. The stockers are a compromise for sure.

• hourout

Posted August 26, 2001 - 02:36 PM

i seem to be having good luck with sunstar on my 650r, they should hold up good under 250 power. sounds to me he rides that bike hard to kill the stocks already or the chain is improperly adjusted?

• Bryan Bosch

Posted August 26, 2001 - 02:43 PM

Originally posted by daverehm:
My buddy has a 2001 xr250r. It is 8 months old and the front sprocket is worn and missing a tooth, the rear sprocket is worn almost to where no teeth are left. Are the stock sprockets cheap, or is it something he is doing?
Any suggestions on a good front and rear sprocket?
Thanks.
David

Dave, did you notice we now have an XR250/400 forum? FYI. :)

[This message has been edited by Bryan Bosch (edited August 26, 2001).]

• daverehm

Posted August 26, 2001 - 02:49 PM

No I didn't. Thanks, and sorry...

• Bryan Bosch

Posted August 26, 2001 - 04:02 PM

No apologies necessary. :) Just thought you might like to know.

• DirtDgr

Posted August 29, 2001 - 03:07 AM

I run the Sidewinder stainless. It is amazing but heavy. I use my 650 in races like the Nevada 2000 and Vegas to Reno.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 03, 2001 - 05:27 PM

Dirtdgr, Are you racing the 2002 Vegas to Reno race????

• DirtDgr

Posted September 05, 2001 - 07:59 PM

Yep...signed up in ironman expert. Cant wait! Its all I can think about.

• DirtDgr

Posted September 05, 2001 - 08:04 PM

Just noticed you said "2002" Im running the 2001 which is at the end of this month. Next year it will be the Nevada 1000

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 05, 2001 - 08:21 PM

Sorry, I meant 2001 as you probably know, I sent my entry in today, I'll be racing in the Ironman Am. Im totally stoaked, I too can only think about the race. I lined up two sponsers for the race and also worked out a full pit crew for the race. I've ridden alot in the Nevada area and have ridden up to 330 miles in one day of pleasure riding but never 526mi. I've raced some BITD events before but not the Vegas to Reno, Is there any advice you could give me??? Thanks

• gtms34

Posted September 06, 2001 - 08:32 AM

Dan,
I have raced BitD in 7200 class the last 3 years. One thing I have found every year is guys running ironman are zombies at the finish line. I can't imagine what it takes to do that race solo on a bike. :) It's a long day in our truck. I'm sure it's nothing compared to racing a bike 526 miles. I race my XR650R in hour long GP's and I'm whooped.
Best of luck and stay hydrated.

Kevin

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 06, 2001 - 03:45 PM

Kev, Thanks for the hydro advice. Im sure if I make it to the finish I'll look (and be) a zombie. I just want to get to Reno before sunset but I know that might be too much to ask for... See ya

• DirtDgr

Posted September 07, 2001 - 02:41 PM

Dan, the best advise I could give is stay alive out there. Talk to yourself literally out loud. I think the mental part of ironman racing is the toughest.

Another thing is staying on the course. Dont get excited and overshoot everything. It wastes tons of energy.

I raced to first Ironman Ex in the Nevada 2000(11 th overall) and fell once. I would take off every morning and my goal would be not to overshoot turns. This takes looking far ahead and total concentration at all times. Its even tougher in the dust.Tell yourself "left Dan! Now right!Smooth."

Stay SMOOTH! Write this on your crossbar. Works for me.

Lots of water. Save the bike.

Hope this helps. See ya there!

Dave

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 07, 2001 - 05:22 PM

Dave, Thanks, You aren the man!! "Stay Smooth" I totally agree! I'll try talking to myself out loud. Thanks again..

Dan

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.