WR to YZ number plate conversion

4 replies to this topic
  • jedman505

Posted September 08, 2004 - 07:02 AM

Has anybody aced their WR # plate and headlight for a YZ plate? If so how did you deal w/ the ignition switch? Can you just completely by pass it, or do you have to do a remount and put it on the handle bars somewhere? I'd like to eliminate it if possible, but don't quite know if if you can just by pass it. My guess is that the open/ closed contact cannot just be eliminated as the battery would drain. Or would the battery just drain if the headlight was still in the loop. I Also need to know if the all of the mounting brackets are the same and what to do with the wiring harness/mounting block behind the existing #plate and headlight assy. If any body has any ideas can you fill me in?

• vintageyz

Posted September 08, 2004 - 07:27 AM

I bolted the ignition button to the back of the number plate. Use the button mount, drill a quick hole at the top left of the plate, and bolt it from the number side in. Works great, is accessible, and out of dangers way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450MXMAN

Posted September 08, 2004 - 08:01 AM

I made an aluminum plate that extends the number plate out so I can leave my odometer and my ignition on the bike. I drilled four holes in an aluminum plate, two for it to bolt to my lower triple clamp (where the lower headlight bracket was mounted) and two for the tabs on the number plate to slide into. I just run a zip ty through the top number plate mounting hole.

• TFO

Posted September 08, 2004 - 11:10 AM

I made an aluminum plate that extends the number plate out so I can leave my odometer and my ignition on the bike. I drilled four holes in an aluminum plate, two for it to bolt to my lower triple clamp (where the lower headlight bracket was mounted) and two for the tabs on the number plate to slide into. I just run a zip ty through the top number plate mounting hole.

you would not happen to have a pic of the bracket you made would you? And measurements. Tired of worrying if the head lite is going to get broken but like the odometer.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 08, 2004 - 01:33 PM

I'm not really proud of my workmanship here but it worked really well for as long as I owned my bike.

Posted Image Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.