Possible Dirt Rider typo.. you be the judge.... Campbell or Hengeveld

20 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 07, 2004 - 04:23 PM

Posted Image

The caption for the photo on top says it's Johnny Campbell (shown). It looks like Hengeveld to me..

What do you guys think?

(sorry, I have to justify having my scanner) :thumbsup:

• JackAttack

Posted September 07, 2004 - 04:30 PM

The caption for the photo on top says it's Johnny Campbell (shown). It looks like Hengeveld to me..

What do you guys think?

(sorry, I have to justify having my scanner) :thumbsup:

Looks like Henge.......Campbell is a Red Bull athlete and wears the Red Bull Helmet. :devil:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 07, 2004 - 04:44 PM

And wears Acerbis gear... :thumbsup:

• don87xr600

Posted September 07, 2004 - 04:45 PM

Doesn't Campbell wear acerbis gear?

• mikekay

Posted September 07, 2004 - 04:57 PM

dan,
this is the 600/650 site. if you dont have a quesiton about jetting your 1992 XR600 or a comment about why one dual sport tire kicks total ass over some other lame dual sport tire, then kindly refrain from trying to liven things up...we are napping. permanetly. Just FYI-- i read theres a raging party over at the KTM sites with hot chicks serving Red Tail Ale and roast pork...?

So if thats Hengeveld on the left, who is the other guy? just joking--jeez dont be so freakin sensitive...Clean cut lads-those two. But i gotta ask: Why do they look so happy? They only won one BITD race all year-and they only won Baja 500 by a very few minutes...and they will have some team KTM's screaming down on them at the Nov. Baja 1000-- not to mention SCORE will require helicopters NOT communicate with racers, and all racers gonna be carrying a GPS tracking device this time...maybe they are just generally smiley happy people :thumbsup:

• JackAttack

Posted September 07, 2004 - 05:08 PM

dan,
this is the 600/650 site. if you dont have a quesiton about jetting your 1992 XR600 or a comment about why one dual sport tire kicks total ass over some other lame dual sport tire, then kindly refrain from trying to liven things up...we are napping. permanetly. Just FYI-- i read theres a raging party over at the KTM sites with hot chicks serving Red Tail Ale and roast pork...?

So if thats Hengeveld on the left, who is the other guy? just joking--jeez dont be so freakin sensitive...Clean cut lads-those two. But i gotta ask: Why do they look so happy? They only won one BITD race all year-and they only won Baja 500 by a very few minutes...and they will have some team KTM's screaming down on them at the Nov. Baja 1000-- not to mention SCORE will require helicopters NOT communicate with racers, and all racers gonna be carrying a GPS tracking device this time...maybe they are just generally smiley happy people :thumbsup:

Mike,

Looks like Irondude stole your password again. :devil:

• BWB63

Posted September 07, 2004 - 08:02 PM

Looks like November will be the end of Irondude......I mean Mike yelling about cheating :awww: (we need a big stir stick graemlin here) But, what happens if they still win? :thumbsup: I was blind like most about how far the cheating had gotten till this group (Irondude) and the more I looked around the net the more I saw of the fact of how bad it all(cheating)had grown. It will be cool to see if it is mostly stopped (can't stop it all) and if the XR650R can still finish first! (why isn't there a Japanese flag or Honda flag? and an Austrian flag or KTM flag? What bike is made in Canada? :devil:)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 08, 2004 - 05:01 AM

Mike, Campbell is one of my favorites. He earned my respect when he won Laughlin a couple of years ago on a CRF, I didn't think he would do all that well but ended up winning (and lapping me :devil: ) the race. He can be beat but the others have to be on their game, no mistakes, no problems.. For the most part team Hondas off-road effort is run like a tight ship and the wins show it. The next Baja is gonna be good...

Try to stay out of trouble buddy.. :awww:

Ps. I ordered the new WR and I'm coming your way.. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Dan

• Kritter

Posted September 08, 2004 - 08:25 AM

Watching Henge at a D37 race as he goes by you is awesome...between him and the other guys mentioned in that article(almost all D37 racers) its weird that more fast guys dont come to D37 to challenge them.

• ThunderChicken

Posted September 08, 2004 - 12:28 PM

what's really sad about this is they got it totally wrong on the honda riders club website as well, which i assume the blurb was originally written by one of their press people, and then dirt rider just took the blurb and captions verbatum...

so, basically nobody in honda's press department, along with the staff of dirt rider, can tell the difference between henge and johnny's drastically different riding styles...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BIGGITY

Posted September 08, 2004 - 02:36 PM

Well for one if they do make the helicopters not be in communication w/ the riders then that would be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. If you have ever been to these evetns the amount of booby traps is ridiculous. Especially for the bikes who are out first. On top of that especially for Henge and Campbell since they are the first people through all the areas. They can pre-run it like a mo-fo the day before but it's the night before the race that all those stupid a*s mexicans dig all the holes and lay the wood across the roads etc..etc..etc.. It will be a interesting race non-the-less but I after seeing S&J race I doubt there is many teams that can keep pace.

• mikekay

Posted September 08, 2004 - 02:45 PM

what did i say? Just curious about them...and noted that they are smiley happy people!!! I am all about being a positive and responsible contributer to this forum and to Honda in general!

I have TOTAL respect for Heng--i have been passed/lapped by him many times--i've tried staying with him--its simply amazing how fast he is...

Who is this Irondude you guys keep mentioning?!

Yeah November will be interesting...
Now that Andy and Chris are on KTM's who will be #3 with Heng and his co-rider?

Dan--with all the true respect i have for you...i gotta say that if Team Honda pulled the 'tricks' they do at SCORE/Baja at a BITD race--Casey would ban them for a year, if not longer. The sad thing is: Honda didnt need to cheat down there--they have the fastest riders, bike, and best support.
Plus 90% of the bikes are 650R's so for sure that bike would win...
To me thats the thing thats so FUBAR about Team Honda-they didnt need to do it to win! Whats maybe even worse is the conspiracy of silence that floated over that scene down there for so many years...But for sure its an open wound now for all to see all over the internet and even in Dirtrider...IMHO the bike industry is one big never ending look over your shoulder and wisper. But so is my industry--food processing. I guess its always like that...

Anyway: Just for the record i have never seen nor heard about any cheating from Heng. Super fast dude...i have nothing but respect for him. I hope he stays with Honda forever and eventually retires from raceing and works as their 'jefe of off-road' or something!

Bruce--you are on to something---whats up with the Canadian flag? Why not India or Japan or Austria or Utah--they all make bikes....Dan get that WR and come join us in November down south...

i gotta go...
:thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 08, 2004 - 02:49 PM

Mike, you know I agree with you... We've talked about it... :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted September 08, 2004 - 03:26 PM

Even for safty why should some get the advantage? Booby traps and all that's the race. If you don't want booby traps pull the race and the Mexican police will make sure there isn't any to keep the race (and MONEY) there!

• mikekay

Posted September 08, 2004 - 09:47 PM

Bigcity--
Team Honda rarely leads before Ojos--they let others clear the way...in fact they have been doing rear starts lately...the helicopters cant see most of the booby traps...but they can see the cars going backwards on the course, and the cows and sometimes the locked gates ...remember to that its illegal for the helicopters to fly at night in Mex--so for 1/2 the race their isnt any helicopter support...for safety it might be worth having the leader clearing things with a SCORE helicopter--or just have a series of bikes or quads launch and clear things half hour before they come thru...having crashed hard on a booby trap at last years 1000 at night in the Felipe area i dont really buy into the helicopter/safety thing. Why is Campbells safety any more important than the guy in 29th place...? Again its only helpfull to guys with helicopters, and only in the daytime, and only for very very very obvious boobytraps...finally: there was an article in Dirtrider last winter about Team Honda using its helicopter to dust out other teams! not safe at all...
Heng is a really fast dude, and his co-workers are ok to, but for sure there are lots of others who can give them a run--its just that the race got so so so so corrupt and there was so so so much cheating that other teams backed out. Guys like Ty Davis, Destry Abott, Jimmy Lewis, and even Scott Harden all backed out from the race--despite all haveing won it in the past. You can thank Team Honda cheating straight up for that.
The cheating culture has gotten to the point where truck, buggy, quad and bikes are all super frustrated down there---at this weekends Primm 300 SCORE will for the first time be trying out 10 GPS trackers with the idea that at the Baja 1000 ALL vehicles will use them! Trackers that are accurate to 1/10th of a mile and record speed...
SO there is a big time change in culture of the race taking place. This is a very very good thing. Candid discussions on sites like this one have contributed to the debate and brought things in part (small part!) out in the open. To his great credit Sal Fish - director of SCORE is working hard to address the problem...
So this year we will see KTM racing down there, and there are rumors of a certain Green riding fast dude thinking 'bout it as well...all this is great news for off-road fans.
Team Honda didnt cheat at all in the Baja 500 last June--even obeying the speedlimits on paved roads! SO while they broke every rule in the book to "win" 7 Baja 1000's in a row...they now are under considerable pressure to race a clean race.
Remeber Team Honda got second in last falls BITD Baja 300--they couldnt cheat...and they only won this years Baja 500 by 6 minutes over the Honda B team...and remeber too that last week the Honda B team quit Red and now ride for KTM!
Will Heng and his co-rider guys win the 1000? Yeah -- probably...but there are going to be 3-4 other teams that can also win it. Childress(with Quinn?). Blaise/Grider (with Quinn?). Richard Sainct. theres lots of other fast guys...McCoy is smokin fast. Rob Barnum's times where within 2 minutes of Team Honda during the last 150 miles of the 500! There is a fast Mexican team -- another super fast guy told me last week he was gonna race it...so all these teams can win. If Heng's co-worker tacos a wheel (like last year)or kills a cow (year before), or whatever-- then this time the helicopter cant land him parts or summond the chase truck to drive backwards on the course with a new wheel...its then anybodies race. Dont take my word for it. Ask the Honda B team guys who just quit and went to KTM.
Just while we are on the subject--i think this is just so so cool i have to throw it out there...Malcom Smith and Jack Johnson are teaming up (with a very slow, over the hill dude) for the over 50 class...watch out over 50 Baja racers Hall/Bishop/Dave Flores....Malcolm Smith racing Baja 1000! KTM vs Honda. Clean racing.
This Novembers 1000 is coming together as one of the most interesting in many years!

• Lencho

Posted September 11, 2004 - 08:56 PM

Even for safty why should some get the advantage? Booby traps and all that's the race. If you don't want booby traps pull the race and the Mexican police will make sure there isn't any to keep the race (and MONEY) there!

What's the purpose of the booby traps? :-\

--Larry

• BWB63

Posted September 11, 2004 - 09:20 PM

The purpose is that some sicko's enjoy hurting others.....it's sad and I have never figured out why the living shot hasn't been bett'n out of those that do it. Or those that play chick'n with the riders get bett'n and loose there vehicel. There is lots of money and you would think that they would do all they (locals) could to make it even more atractive for more to come down/up across the sea, at race time. It's a different mentality.......well then again I did alot of stupid stuff

• Kritter

Posted September 12, 2004 - 10:31 AM

I was at the Lost Coyotes euro scrambles this weekend...

Chris Blais, Nick Blais, Kendal Norman, Mike Childress, Quinn Cody, were all racing and all fast...they are all competition for team honda when they race in mexico as well as a threat to all factory teams when in the states for BITD races.

The blais bros were on CRF 450s and kendal was on I believe Cambells old 650 and mikey was on his XR's only 650.

Kendal got the holeshot off the bomb and it was clear riding for him. The leader had a HUGE advantage as dust was hanging on the trail all day and in red mountain you dont ride too far off the ribbon to get clear air since the rocks are the same color as the dirt!

All these guys are fast...I would like to see Kendal Norman race the 1000 this year.

I also believe that team kawasaki pulled out of baja due to DH tragic accident.

Chris made the Red Bull/KTM team for dakar but as of right now he is still on his honda. I also was told by his girlfriend that he will be workign at Xr's only since they just got a house in the hi dez. I dont know if the dakar tryouts changed his plans of working their or not.

• mikekay

Posted September 12, 2004 - 02:26 PM

SO you are saying Kendal was on a factory Honda! Could that mean he will be racing the 1000 with Campbell and Heng?

• Kritter

Posted September 12, 2004 - 04:24 PM

SO you are saying Kendal was on a factory Honda! Could that mean he will be racing the 1000 with Campbell and Heng?

he overalled today too...

Im pretty sure its just a buddy deal

I know Kendall tried it for a race to see if he liked the 650 about 5 months ago and he overalled that race. So maybe he bought it from John or maybe he built his own, but it looked like the American Honda 650.

I think if American Honda was looking for riders, Chris Blais or Mikey would have been picked up already...
Mikey gave up his ride with Kawasaki to ride the 650 to do mexico races.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.