450F Cold starting problems....

4 replies to this topic
  • devilsslide

Posted September 07, 2004 - 02:03 PM

I've had this bike for a month and whenever I start it for its first ride it is a real pain to get going. After 20 kicks I resort to opening it up full throttle to get it started. After it is warm it kick over in one start.

Any tips?... Thanks

• Gizabious

Posted September 07, 2004 - 03:29 PM

try adjusting fuel screw and pilot jet, i had the same problem and was able to fix it with these. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 07, 2004 - 04:15 PM

First, the fuel screw, like the man said. Get one of the extended ones so you can easily tweak it to compensate for altitude, weather, and days when the bike is grouchy. ThumperFAQ.com (even though it's all 250F) covers the general method of adjusting it and the information, if not the settings can be applied to the big bike.

Second, for the first start of the day or other times when the bike is thoroughly cooled off, I give mine 3 good twists of the throttle to prime it, push it through compression once, then kick it with the choke on and the throttle very slightly opened off idle. Works EVERY time.

A third possiblity exists, but only if the bike was allowed to sit around unused for a significant period. If stored for some time, the needle/seat and or float could get gummed up enough to stop gas from coming into the carb (I've had this happen many times). In this case, just using the bike regularly will clear it up, but you can also pull the bowl off and clean up with some B12.

Devil's Slide, eh? I know where that is. I have a favorite DS story for you some day.

• devilsslide

Posted September 07, 2004 - 04:26 PM

Great stuff grayracer! Thanks for the input... hope to see you out there this season.

• MXof21

Posted September 07, 2004 - 05:14 PM

I give mine one twist of the throttle, pull the choke and it almost always starts first kick.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.