05 450 ride report

8 replies to this topic
  • Sparky_So_Cal

Posted September 07, 2004 - 11:35 AM

Keep in mind that I am coming from an 02 YZF426 and I do faily well in the vet beg class.

Picked up the bike from motorcycle brokers and put it together on sunday night. Went out to Racetown on Monday. Racetown had a race there on Sunday and the track was pretty beat up. About 80% sand track. There were a bunch of pot holes, square edge stuff and most of the landing from the jumps were pretty chewed. Straights had pretty big rollers in them from the day before.

Mods: I put on my flex bars, a top RG3 triple clamp and kicked up the idle speed a bit. Didn't touch suspension because it needes to break in anyway.

First thing I noticed was I didn't have to work as hard to get the thing moving exiting corners. My old bike had an EFM and I thought it was smooth exiting corners and it was. However, I now realize that it was slower and had to work harder to get it to move due to the "hit". Everyone always talks about the hit and how they like it on Yamaha, and the Honda guys say the same regarding the "smoothnes". Well, one of the big things that Yamaha was pushing w/ the 05 was the smoother power delivery and they got it right. Didnt' have to works as hard to get over step/ups and double's where before it was more of a "get up in the rpm's and hold on" w/ the 02. The bike turned heads and tails better then my 02, Just siting on the bike, you could see the difference in the ergo's w/ respect to gas cap/tripple clamp ect.. Felt much more at home, didnt' feel as crowded and I'm 6'3".

Also let a few friends ride it out there. One the guys rides a KTM525 and races's Vet Expert and he cut some laps on it. He has owned an 02 426, CRF450's and now KTM's. When he got back from the session, he was really suprised that he liked the bike. He had ridden an 03 YZF and didn't like it. He said that normally he takes 5-6 laps to adjust to any bike, but he totally felt comfortable after 1 lap. I think he got more air time on my bike then I have total over 3 years on my 426 :thumbsup: Anyway, He really liked it and was really impressed w/ the power down low and the mid. He said he reved it out a few times but shut it down because he did not want to over do it w/ the new engine ect..

***footnote***
He rode it at the end of the day, so it didn't bother me that he put it through it's paces

Had an awsome day. The forks were destroying my arms in the beggining, (typical Yamha), but also not near as much bottoming as before. Clutch pull is really easy. Never noticed any grabbing or slipping and this coming from a guy who had an EFM. Needless to say, I am not getting an auto cluth on this bike. bike felt really light just taking it off and on the stand and really nimble in the air and turns. I don't jump much, but even I could tell a difference.

Any aspect that I have over looked, ask away and I will give you my honest opinion.

Dave

• mmbasa

Posted September 07, 2004 - 12:28 PM

Thats my same feeling. I was at the races there on Sunday and the bike worked awesome. Once the suspension softens up a little you will love it. I only bottomed out once and that was off the down hill double. I felt really good riding through all that chop and didn't tire out as much as I would have on the 426. I really like jumping the bike and it is much easier especially coming out of turns. I was jumping the front double double which I wouldn't do on the 426 because it was hard to get a good run and the landing was to hard to make the turn. Not a problem on Sunday. I still haven't done anything to the suspension and I might not even have to, thats how good I think they are compared to the 426. Anyone considering a new bike the 450 is a great choice, don't let that dealer tell you the 04 are the same. Here's a pic.
Posted Image

• sjwr450

Posted September 08, 2004 - 09:15 PM

I took delivery yesterday. I have not riden out at the track or trails yet, but man is it stiff compared to my 250's. Especially the Enzo suspended one. I called Enzo today and they are expecting my suspension. Figured I would take it out this weekend first to break it in.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 09, 2004 - 06:39 AM

I took delivery yesterday. I have not riden out at the track or trails yet, but man is it stiff compared to my 250's. Especially the Enzo suspended one. I called Enzo today and they are expecting my suspension. Figured I would take it out this weekend first to break it in.

All new bikes are stiff....You can not tell how stiff it really is, until you ride it on tracks or trails and it needs to break in the suspension. Being a dual chambered system - what does Enzo do for this fork - I would think that it does not need subtanks - that is the function for the 2nd chamber correct? What do they change ? The valving/springs/oil height? Everyone I have spoken to that ride A/B level like the stock suspension with additional oil....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sparky_So_Cal

Posted September 09, 2004 - 11:36 AM

Being a dual chambered system - what does Enzo do for this fork - I would think that it does not need subtanks - that is the function for the 2nd chamber correct? What do they change ? The valving/springs/oil height?

You are correct, Enzo is not reccommending sub tanks for the 05 yamaha's. I am going up from a .46 to a .48 on the forks and from a 5.3 to a 5.8 on the rear spring along w/ valving. Dropping my stuff off at enzo towmorrow. I have to go on a business trip next week. Perfect time to get the revalve done :thumbsup: Did I also mention that I am 240lbs in street clothes :devil: My last bike, I faught w/ the suspension for almost 8 months before I had a re-valve. Being as large as I am. It's not worth it. Doing it right this time.

• sjwr450

Posted September 09, 2004 - 12:27 PM

I really like my bike that has been revalved. I plowed a big double one time at the track and came out of it. They did say that the tanks are not needed, but a revalve would be good.
I will break it in first.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 09, 2004 - 01:42 PM

Being a dual chambered system - what does Enzo do for this fork - I would think that it does not need subtanks - that is the function for the 2nd chamber correct? What do they change ? The valving/springs/oil height?

You are correct, Enzo is not reccommending sub tanks for the 05 yamaha's. I am going up from a .46 to a .48 on the forks and from a 5.3 to a 5.8 on the rear spring along w/ valving. Dropping my stuff off at enzo towmorrow. I have to go on a business trip next week. Perfect time to get the revalve done :thumbsup: Did I also mention that I am 240lbs in street clothes :devil: My last bike, I faught w/ the suspension for almost 8 months before I had a re-valve. Being as large as I am. It's not worth it. Doing it right this time.

That is what I thought with regards to the sub tanks - now maybe the prices will drop on those things....

• gonzo

Posted September 10, 2004 - 02:33 AM

Enzo's tanks are a rip off. You can get the same thing for alot cheaper other places. Try going to http://tech-care.com. They sell the same thing for 150 bucks.

• sjwr450

Posted September 10, 2004 - 06:35 AM

I'm not always looking for the absolute lowest price. Enzo has great customer support. Everytime I call they look through their records and they know everything about me and how I ride.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.