steering stem bearing packing, tips needed

2 replies to this topic
  • Matt96xr6

Posted August 03, 2001 - 01:48 PM

Hey all. 1996 Xr600. I had to beat the bearings off the bottom of the stem this morning. That sucked! But it was not a bearing anymore, rather a bushing!

Any tips on packing that sucker in there? Mostly to keep mud and water out? Thanks

FYI, I do have a new bearing and seals on order and a bearing cone packer that I am using synthetic grease.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Keyser_Zoze

Posted August 04, 2001 - 07:35 AM

Originally posted by Matt96xr6:
Hey all. 1996 Xr600. I had to beat the bearings off the bottom of the stem this morning. That sucked! But it was not a bearing anymore, rather a bushing!

Any tips on packing that sucker in there? Mostly to keep mud and water out? Thanks

FYI, I do have a new bearing and seals on order and a bearing cone packer that I am using synthetic grease.

Call Dan at Precision Motorcycle repair, tell I'm told you to call.

His number is 805 967 6163.

He's done this job for me on a couple bikes.

• Matt96xr6

Posted August 05, 2001 - 07:23 AM

ok thanks! will do monday. Just want to make sure that I do the best job that I can to keep the mud and water out of there. I am sure there are some tips to help that beyond tear it down after every ride.

Just bought the bike early in the year, and I should have done it when I bought the bike.

oh well, $30 for new bearings later.....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.