I know its a 2-smokes but maybe someone can help with parts

3 replies to this topic
  • mrh

Posted September 07, 2004 - 09:41 AM

my dad finally gave me his old '83 yz-490. The last time this bike was ridden was by me around 10 years ago. Since it has set up and will need to be completely rebuilt. My problem is Im having trouble finding parts for the vintage bikes. Im looking for things like engine (top and bottom end) and trans rebuild kits. bearings and bushings, plastics, etc. does anyone know a good place to find parts for this old 2-stroke? thanks.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 07, 2004 - 10:01 AM

do a search on vintage motocross bike parts - you will find a ton of info. That was a nice bike in its day(although I vaguley remember several headstays snapping in two) - should be a cool vintage class MXer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sparks426

Posted September 09, 2004 - 03:41 PM

As far as engine parts go, Yamaha used this same engine until the early 90's, so they "should" be readily available. The last models made were a WR500, but same motor. If you need bearings, try a normal bearing place, or even NAPA. They are usually imprinted with the measurements, but can always be measured and cross-referenced.

As far as the 490 goes, it can be a bear. Hard to get to run consistently. Check out Rick Seimen's column at http://www.off-road....columns/dntask/ - he firmly believes the 490 is best used as a boat anchor! But, a running bike is a running bike.

I would try cleaning everything up (carb, etc), and see if it will run. Good luck.

• yzf450jack

Posted September 09, 2004 - 04:24 PM

Try this place they have a parts listing foe the 83 yz 490k :thumbsup: :devil: http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.