Synthetic Oil on Clutches

5 replies to this topic
  • EX_CR500_Rider

Posted July 25, 2001 - 05:10 PM

Would synthetic oil cause my clutch to slip excesively? A salesman at my local Honda shop recommended the HP4 Hi Performance oil with no moly. Neither one of us noticed it was synthetic. And it wasn't until after my clutches slipped that I recognized the bottle. I never ran synthetic in my 2-stroke, but was always warned it could cause problems with a clutch. If it can cause a problem, what kind of bike would it be used in? Bring on the comments. Thanks

------------------

• gtms34

Posted July 26, 2001 - 05:31 AM

Synthetic oil can cause problems in wet clutches. True syn. oils contain PTFE (plastic) when enough gets inbedded in your clutch, it slips. Not all syn. oil cause this problem. Some synthetic oils are not truly synthetic. Mobil recently sued Castrol for this. I always call a tech. rep. before trying a new oil in my bike.
Best of luck,
Kevin

• sherco290

Posted July 26, 2001 - 06:14 AM

I run Mobil 1 15w50 in my bike with out any trouble!! I don't think that the HP oil that you were using is your trouble!!
once a clutch start slipping even if its by you it gets VERY hot and if it stays hot it will "glaze" or cook the clutch and it will not work correctly again

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 26, 2001 - 07:38 PM

I second the 15W-50 Mobil 1 suggestion. This question always comes up in the other discussion groups and I have always recommended Golden Spectro 20W-50 semi-synthetic when asked. Since I have seen a lot of good things about the Mobil 1 in these discussions, I thought I'd finally give it a try this evening. On my test ride, it performed flawlessly, with no clutch slippage and I like the fact that it goes in a little thinner (faster) than the 20W-50. It's also cheaper ($4 vs $7 a quart) and I can get it at Wal-Mart. Be sure to use only the 15W-50 Mobil 1 because other weights have friction modifiers and will cause clutch problems.

• Matt96xr6

Posted July 27, 2001 - 06:52 PM

That would be a good question to ask Amsoil. That is what I run in the bike without issue and the truck and mustang.
http://www.amsoil.com

I see they now have a new 4 stroke oil designed for bikes: http://www.amsoil.co...oducts/aff.html

[This message has been edited by Matt96xr6 (edited 07-29-2001).]

• Keyser_Zoze

Posted July 31, 2001 - 05:46 AM

I've used SILKOLENE 10W40 SYNTHETIC in all my XR's and have never had any problems.

What I do have a problem with is the $8 a quart price tag!

I do like that it is RED (like tranny fluid) so you can see when it starts getting dirty.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.