Engine braking question

5 replies to this topic
  • rwhitlock

Posted June 24, 2001 - 06:40 AM

Hello all...

I am rather new to the 4-stroke world and love my '01 426.

However, I am wondering if there is a way to lessen the effect of engine braking when letting off the gas.

I have been trying to pull the clutch when getting off the gas, but I'm not sure that would end up being good for the clutch.

I mainly play ride, and trail ride. I do not motocross.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod

• MN_Kevin

Posted June 24, 2001 - 08:48 AM

YZ timing supposedly lessens engine braking...

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, gray wire severed, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC, and I use MOBIL 1 Oil, with ZERO problems.

• VOR503

Posted June 25, 2001 - 06:33 AM

Turning up the idle speed should do it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ron_in_SoCal

Posted June 25, 2001 - 06:46 AM

Engine braking can be a good thing!

Most ex-two stroke riders try to fight the engine braking effect that four strokes provide and use the rear brake like they do on two strokes. I'm a long time four stroke rider and when I hop on a two stroke I nearly kill myself on the first few corners I come to because I'm not using the read brake at all.

I suggest learning to use the engine braking to your advantage. When coming into a corner try downshifting instead of applying the rear brake. Its amazing how well this works once you get the hang of it.

Just my $0.02

• Tree_hugger

Posted June 25, 2001 - 07:04 AM

The only thing you can do with the rear brake, is kill the motor. Get a hacksaw and cut the thing off. Or, if you have some tools, you can take it off that way also. Compression can be your best friend if you learn how to use it. Then you can smoke the two smokes.
Hang in there, you will love it.

• sirhk

Posted June 25, 2001 - 08:21 AM

I try and use it to my advantage like mentioned above. For instance at my track there is a couple of doubles that are immediately followed by a corner. On two of them I downshift in the air and get on the front brake hard upon landing to make the corner. (I don't touch the rear brake) And on another on I need to slow so fast that I usually hit the jump in 3rd and downshift to 1st in the air. The exhaust sounds crazy when I land but it works great. I'm not sure off what kinda abuse this is doing ot the bike but I've been doing it for probably 6 months now almost every weekend.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.