03 Starter clutch failure

6 replies to this topic
  • Desracer

Posted September 05, 2004 - 09:09 PM

I have 4000 miles on my 03 450f and not had any mechanical problems until today. Today the starter worked a couple times, then wouldnt engage. So is there a trick set up to replace this clutch? Is it a Yamaha only item or a bearing that can be had at a bearing shop? The starter spins just fine. I have abused the Heck out of this starter, until today I had used the kick start a total of 7 times. Hope you guys can help me out.

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 06, 2004 - 05:06 AM

Yes, I have seen posts on replacing the one way clutch and bearing. You have to go with stock Yamaha parts. It will fix your problem. The starter clutch design looks to have a 2 year life. Make sure you have or order the flywheel puller. :thumbsup:

• Desracer

Posted September 06, 2004 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for the reply! This thing starts so easy I may not fix the problem. With my Rekluse clutch my reasons for an electric starter have almost gone away. I just dont want the starter clutch to Handgrenade and kill the engine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted September 06, 2004 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the reply! This thing starts so easy I may not fix the problem. With my Rekluse clutch my reasons for an electric starter have almost gone away. I just dont want the starter clutch to Handgrenade and kill the engine.

I would DEFINITELY replace the starter clutch, regardless of whether you plan to use the starter or not. If it was wadded up as bad as the one in my bro-in-law's WR, I would be seriously afraid to run it until I did replace it!! When we pulled his out it literally FELL APART into twenty different pieces...

• Desracer

Posted September 06, 2004 - 09:07 PM

My bike is running really good, so the starter clutch must be ready to explode! The flywheel puller is my only problem now and its if I have one or not issue. I have the bolt type and several MX bike pullers, I hope one of those will work.

• ddialogue

Posted September 07, 2004 - 05:12 AM

My bike is running really good, so the starter clutch must be ready to explode!

Yeah, I know what you mean. :thumbsup:

Here's what the starter clutch looked like when we replaced it in my bro-in-law's WR:

Destroyed Starter Clutch

Those are some big pieces that would destroy a motor if they were to come loose. Had we known it was that bad we'd have replaced it much sooner than we did... :devil:

• mtrablue

Posted September 07, 2004 - 06:07 AM

make sure the puller is the correct one before you start. the wr uses a puller with internal threads. it screws "on" not "in".

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.