Shold I stay or should I go?

9 replies to this topic
  • yzfmxer

Posted September 05, 2004 - 08:46 PM

Thinking :thumbsup: About selling the ol' 426 and buying a CRF 450, just wnat to know what yall think about that? should i go with the yamaha, or honda? For 2005?

• logansowner

Posted September 05, 2004 - 09:03 PM

If you insist on an 05, probably the Honda, mostly because for 06 the Yamha's get the alluminum frame, and it would be a shame to spend that much on a bike to have a supirior one come out in just a year. But neither bike is a bad choice, just that the 05 Yamaha will probably be quite a bit inferior to the 06's and the Honda's will likely not changed too much.

I don't know how well that came out, but you get what I am saying? :devil: Really just pick whatever you get a better deal on/ like better because they are both awsome bikes now. :thumbsup:

• SureBlue

Posted September 06, 2004 - 12:51 AM

I would wait for the -06 Yamahas, the engine is (so far, donno about -06) bullet proof without valve concerns. Rode my old 426 this weekend and have to say the 450 mainly differs on suspension and clutch feel, not even the weightdifference is disturbing. What I mean, you've got a good reliable bike, can't you wait another year?
Sure, CRF handles and looks better and is a quality masterpiece, but unless you have a mechanic checking and replacing your valves... Me being a Sunday rider, I like to ride and enjoy instead of a constant
fear of valve issues, which are not solved by Honda and will not be before they improve the material/coating/springs or go for smaller valves (3 pcs intake like Yami). The problem is also known here, all speculations about filteroil type or microdust gettin into intake is BS, we see the valve-issue on bikes racing on ice - definitey no dust there! However, it is your call and
Honda is great but requires another level of maintenance.
I'm waiting for the -06 models. Sure. Blue. :thumbsup:

• yzfmxer

Posted September 06, 2004 - 08:18 AM

I have read about the valve problems, but have never seen the problem in any of the 02-04 CRF 450's around here,and theese bikes are racing a full local circuit, and a few nationals, and the vet national chapionship circuit, so its not like theese bikes are not getting ridden hard.
And I dont have any problems, checking the valves once a month or weekly for that matter, it doesnt take much. But Im not going to be riding that bike at the level as all of the rest of the guys on 450's around here, and they have never had any problems, so I think I should be ok, and like I said I dont mind checking valves regularly, I do on my 426, and if any problems do arise, or I Think they will, then Ill go with the stainless valves (that is the fix aint it)
But the main reason I want one now is, my friends both have 04 CRF's and I can be riding my 426 all day and hop on theres, and have WAY better lap times, I feel faster on it, I feel more in control, I can jump stuf easyer. And then I have to give the bike back and im all bummed :devil:
And the fact that I can get $4000 out of my 426 and I can get a new 05 450 for $5900 makes the decision a little easyer. :thumbsup:

• SureBlue

Posted September 06, 2004 - 10:42 AM

Looks like you already have made up your mind. You will at least love riding the Honda. And pricewise sounds very attractive.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted September 06, 2004 - 06:40 PM

Thinking :thumbsup: About selling the ol' 426 and buying a CRF 450, just wnat to know what yall think about that? should i go with the yamaha, or honda? For 2005?

That's what I did! Except I kept the 426.

The Honda is a great bike. And it was worth every penny to me.

I ride the 426 now and then and still have fun, but it's kind of a tank by comparison.

I say go for it.

• yzfmxer

Posted September 06, 2004 - 07:52 PM

Looks like you already have made up your mind.

well, yes and no, I sold my 426 today, but i was asking to see if yall thought if the 05 CRF would be a good bike, I noticed they changed a few things, and was wondering if you thought that the changes comprmised relibility? I know the yami would be reliable, but i wnat somthing with a little more usable power and has better hadleing. ya know.

• yzfmxer

Posted September 09, 2004 - 07:53 PM

Cummon fellas,
no more opinions? :thumbsup:

• SureBlue

Posted September 09, 2004 - 08:41 PM

Buy yourself more thinking time and take -04 YZ450F, it is a great bike and bet you can get it CHEAP. :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted September 10, 2004 - 05:10 AM

Thinking :devil: About selling the ol' 426 and buying a CRF 450, just wnat to know what yall think about that? should i go with the yamaha, or honda? For 2005?

for 05 it is a toss up - I like the powerband changes and the dependability of the blue bike over the red bike(valve issue)but I like the new generation alum frame on the honda and the powerband ----
for 04 - either is good - look for cheapest price :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.