Chains

4 replies to this topic
  • BugTeeth

Posted September 05, 2004 - 05:11 PM

I know the BRP requires a continuous chain. I live in Panama and selection of parts is a luxury, usually you take what you can get. I bought a DID standard 520 non O ring chain with a master link hoping it will work in a crunch and carrying it as a spare,$25 from a small bike shop. Now that I`ve got it I`m second guessing myself. Is this thing going to snap on me the first time. The question is input aka tales of glory or woe on this type of chain. I looked at the DID website and this seems to be their bottom tier product. Maybe I should can this one and go looking for a good racing chain.

00 650R FMF full titanium system, K&N

• BWB63

Posted September 05, 2004 - 05:31 PM

I used a ERT Gold chain on the Oinker for a short time to see if I could feel the extra pull of a non O-ring chain. I used and stacked master link to make it an endless chain. It wore real fast! Not nearly as good a pick as the ERV2 and I will not do it again. The ERT chain is much stronger then the chain you got!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted September 05, 2004 - 05:34 PM

It will work fine as a backup, but it will stretch & wear out faster than the DID X-ring type chains (i.e. VM & ERV2). You can either run the staked link (stock Honda setup) or use a master link, which is still very strong. A down side to the master link is the potential for the clip to come off, but if that's not a concern, then you should be fine with a master link. There's plenty of people here on TT and other groups using a master link with their X-ring chains on their XR650R's.

• mikekay

Posted September 05, 2004 - 11:39 PM

i've used the ERV2 with the masterlink for a couple seasons. No issues with chain falling off...

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 06, 2004 - 06:58 AM

I too use the DID X ring type chains. They do not stretch and last forever. I use a master link and have never had a clip fall off yet. My honda dealer lets me use his stake tool when I want a continuous link type chain so I have the option to go either way. I use his stake tool whenever I wanna add links. I do not like the idea of two master links in one chain.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.