Honda 250?

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 04, 2001 - 03:32 PM

How good are the Honda XR250Rs? Do they start as easy as Honda's usually do? I am thinking about getting one for HS races. At HS races they usually do a dead start and I just wanna know if they are trustworthy.

• RKWFXD

Posted July 02, 2001 - 08:11 PM

MY 2000 250 starts great after a FMF pipe, K&N filter and bigger jets. I removed the compression release. I never used it and decided if I wasn't strong enough to kick through the compression stroke of a 250 I should just stay home.

cold is usually 2-3 kicks, warm is a 1st kicker almost everytime. I had a little trouble at first when it was cold so every week, even if I didn't have time to ride, I rolled it out and started it until I had the drill down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt96xr6

Posted July 03, 2001 - 10:55 AM

I have had a few xr and xl 250s. Always reliable. Never had one with the decompression though. Never had a problem starting it. It will take a few times to learn how the bike starts compared to a 2 stroke, but once you know the routine, starts as easy as cake!

Maintenance is nothing on the bikes, and with the 6 speed in them they have some good top end even when you gear them down for tight work.

The 91 and newer have the cartridge forks are dual disc brakes. So look for 91 - present is my advice. Depending on your weight (over 170lbs) you will most likely need new springs front and rear. After that, you will be very happy with the bike!

Do the cheap stuff like remove the restictions and baffles, get a good air filter and reject the bike.

Change the oil, adjust the valves once a year. Spark plugs last for ever on the bikes if you get the jetting correct. Other than that, tires, chains and sprockets are about the only thing you will spend money on to maintain the bike!

• HondaXR250

Posted July 03, 2001 - 11:03 AM

I went ahead and got one over a month ago. This topic jumped from the bottom of the list to the top...lol. I really love the bike and find that the gearing is deep enough for me. I did remove the baffle. I got twice the power out of it.

• HondaXR250

Posted July 03, 2001 - 11:03 AM

I went ahead and got one over a month ago. This topic jumped from the bottom of the list to the top...lol. I really love the bike and find that the gearing is deep enough for me. I did remove the baffle. I got twice the power out of it.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.