Winter Storage

10 replies to this topic
  • NewBee

Posted September 05, 2004 - 03:45 AM

My WR450F will be stored in the shed for the winter. My concern is the radiatot coolant. It is good for a temperature of -20 degrees celcius, but here we can get temperatures as low as -50 or -60. What should I do in this extreme condition? :thumbsup: :devil:

• simch

Posted September 05, 2004 - 05:35 AM

Put a radiator in the shed! -60!? Gees that's cold.

• beezer

Posted September 05, 2004 - 06:35 AM

Drain the coolant.

• ncmountainman

Posted September 05, 2004 - 07:16 AM

keep it in the living room,like a good owner! put a backrest on the seat and you can sit on it and watch T.V.! my family is from Nova Scotia,thats one reason i moved south :thumbsup:

• SteadyEddy

Posted September 05, 2004 - 01:20 PM

In the manual it also says to take the spark plug out and drop a bit of oil in on to the piston, and replace spark plug.
:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NewBee

Posted September 05, 2004 - 03:48 PM

I know about the oil in the piston but my biggest concern is the engin coolant freezing. I think what i may do is drain the coolant and replace it with total antifreeze no water. And when the spring hits I'll change it back to a 50:50 ratio before i use her. What do u think?
:devil: :thumbsup:

• Bryan Bosch

Posted September 05, 2004 - 04:54 PM

http://www.thumperta...winterize.shtml

• ETP

Posted September 06, 2004 - 12:14 AM

Instead of putting the bike away for the winter, you should see if a TT guy named Frosbite is still around. He lives somewhere in the way north east, and rides all winter in the ice and snow. Use to post some awesome stories and pictures from his frozen tundra experiences. He will surely have some tips for you.
Otherwise, another vote for keeping it in the livingroom. You can tinker with the bike all winter and have it in tip top shape when it thaws up there.....

• NewBee

Posted September 06, 2004 - 03:55 AM

I think that I may have to store it in the house or buy a new one with a garage. I am sweriously considering the living room idea though. Thanks :devil: :thumbsup:

• Frostbite

Posted September 06, 2004 - 02:37 PM

Instead of putting the bike away for the winter, you should see if a TT guy named Frosbite is still around. He lives somewhere in the way north east, and rides all winter in the ice and snow. Use to post some awesome stories and pictures from his frozen tundra experiences. He will surely have some tips for you.
Otherwise, another vote for keeping it in the livingroom. You can tinker with the bike all winter and have it in tip top shape when it thaws up there.....

Just flew back today. I rode a Hog down to Sturgis for the rally but the heat was too much! I'll take the cold any day.

Polaris pre-mix antifreeze is runny down to -54. Remember that the wind chill doesn't count, you go by the straight up temperature. But why store it in the first place?

Posted Image

Sno Riding is the bomb!

Posted Image

• dominator426

Posted September 06, 2004 - 10:20 PM

I think what i may do is drain the coolant and replace it with total antifreeze no water. And when the spring hits I'll change it back to a 50:50 ratio before i use her. What do u think?
:devil: :thumbsup:

There's no point in refilling it with pure antifreeze. Simply drain it, then refill it next spring.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.