Warm Up With NO THERMOSTAT

4 replies to this topic
  • Keyser_Zoze

Posted May 11, 2001 - 05:51 PM

Anyone care to comment on warming up the 650R with no thermostat? Please help...

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 11, 2001 - 07:47 PM

Start it, let it run for 3-5 minutes, ride it. This works for me. If it's cold, 45-50 degrees, I have to turn up the idle or stay with the bike till it warms up. Mine lets me know if I ride too soon. It bogs like a loaded up two stroke.
Good luck,
Kevin

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Keyser_Zoze

Posted May 11, 2001 - 09:51 PM

Thanks!

Does it run that much cooler with removal of the thermostat?

Already changed to a 1.8lb cap.

Originally posted by KBeach:
Start it, let it run for 3-5 minutes, ride it. This works for me. If it's cold, 45-50 degrees, I have to turn up the idle or stay with the bike till it warms up. Mine lets me know if I ride too soon. It bogs like a loaded up two stroke.
Good luck,
Kevin

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 14, 2001 - 01:43 PM

The thermostat sticks approx. 1/2 open then the bike overheats. I never even started mine in stock form so I can't compare. It has never overheated.
Good to see you on yahoo. Much more info there for the XR650R.
Kevin

• ToddW

Posted May 18, 2001 - 04:33 PM

It warms-up the same as any other water cooled dirt bike, as none of the others have a thermostat. The reason they overheat is the stat sticks half open. Don't worry about the flow after removing the thermostat, the inlet to the housing is smaller than the area thru the thermostat. While your at it run a mid 90's KX500 rad. cap (1.6 bar). If you still overheat (boilover) run Redline Waterwetter (avail. at Pep Boys) and run the 68S pilot jet.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.