newbie questions for 650r

2 replies to this topic
  • resslera

Posted September 04, 2004 - 05:52 PM

Couple of questions for the paranoid new owner of a 650 R. First off, I noticed my chain seemed like there was alot of slack so I adjusted per the manual to a little more than 1 inch while on the kick stand. When I sit on the bike however it tightens to the point where it's a little tighter than what I am used to on my other bikes. Just want to make sure the measurement is done while the bike is on the kick stand and not flexed.

Question 2. Is the mobil 1 15w50 red cap still good to go in 4 strokes? I heard about a year or so back that the red cap changed and while it is not labelled "energy conserving" is different than the original oil and could cause slippage. I am not opening a oil debate because I no how annoyed people get with those. I was thinking of using regular honda GN4 10w40 for the first 2 oil changes and then moving to the sythetic stuff or a blend. Used HP4 in my old DR350 but wouldn't mind using a full sythetic in this one as I'm keeping it for the long haul.

I was kind of suprised the manual said break-in was around 15 miles? Wow that seems short for a break in. I was thinking a few hundred miles atleast. I was also shocked at the frequency of oil changes of 600 miles.

thanks,

Aaron

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smashinz2002

Posted September 04, 2004 - 08:20 PM

The chain should have about an inch of slack AFTER YOUR WEIGHT IS SITTING ON IT! So when it's up on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground, there will be even more slack.
Don't ride the bike if the chain is tight with your weight sitting on it. The chain will become EVEN tighter as the suspension is compressed, and as mud collects in the links, if you ride in muddy conditions. Running a tight chain is very stressful on the chain, sprockets, and especially the countershaft bearing!
So maintain about 1 to 1-1/2" of slack with your weight sitting on the bike. This might seem loose, but that's why the bike has a chain guide mounted at the rear.
As far as what oil to use, I have always run Honda GN4, it's a good oil specific to motorcycles and contains additives to protect the transmission which car oils do not contain. And yes, you should change your oil at least every 600 miles, possibly more depending on riding conditions. The main reason for this, I believe, is due to the break-down of the additives, the accumulation of dirt and carbon in the oil, and the fairly small oil capacity. If the bike held 6 quarts like the average pick up truck, then sure you could go much longer between changes, but it doesn't even hold 2 quarts, so changes need to be done much more frequently. If they are not, then engine life will be greatly reduced, no way around it. Oil is cheaper than engine rebuilds.
Good luck with the bike man and make sure it's uncorked properly for maximum power! :thumbsup:
LL.
'00XR650R
Posted Image

• resslera

Posted September 05, 2004 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm with you on the chain slack. What gets me is the manual clearly says before to check the slack put it on the side stand. I took your advice and put it back to the way it was. Now when sitting on it i can grab the chain and it has some good slack but not too much.

Aaron

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.