left side case cover 04 wr

6 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted September 04, 2004 - 05:24 PM

are they magnesium or alum.? i know the clutch cover is mag.(cuz it says so!) but can't find any info about the left side. i want to know so i can cut the nub off (where my starter used to be) and have it welded up. if it is mag. can you weld the stuff? i know that it ignites at a certain temp. could be a problem! :thinking:thanx for the help

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted September 04, 2004 - 07:54 PM

As far as I know, all the dark grayish parts are magnesium. This would be the LH side case. Hey, you've deleted your starter, want to sell it? I'd like to have a spare. :thumbsup: :devil:

• ncmountainman

Posted September 05, 2004 - 07:02 AM

already sold it before i even got it all off! sorry. the gray is just paint i don't know if that designates magnesium or not? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted September 05, 2004 - 07:33 AM

Bob, I meant "all the gray painted parts" I beleive are magnesium. :thumbsup: so I'm pretty sure the LH side is, but not 100% on it.

• mtrablue

Posted September 05, 2004 - 07:57 AM

99% sure it's aluminum. a couple guys have welded up the hole for the starter with no report of problems. the side cover only costs about $100. pretty cheap if it's mag.

• ncmountainman

Posted September 05, 2004 - 08:30 AM

cool, i was hoping it was alum. i did the scratch test on the valve cover and the side cover,and the valve cover is harder. off to the welding shop! thanx :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted September 07, 2004 - 06:22 AM

just got back from the welder shop and it is aluminum,in fact the feller said fairly high quality at that(welded nicely). so the nub is gone! with a little grinding it'll look like it was never there. used a piece of the round cover to fill the hole,worked nicely. probly lost almost a lb. just cuttin the crap off. :thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.