Adjusting Valves

7 replies to this topic
  • EX_CR500_Rider

Posted May 04, 2001 - 07:35 PM

My bike is now two weeks old, been riden about 200+ miles. The dealer said it should have the valves adjusted after the break-in period. This sounds a little extreme. Any comments?

Posted May 05, 2001 - 05:06 AM

My dealer wanted the bike in after 100 miles for a service that included valves, LOF, etc. I did it because he said Honda wouldn't warrantee the bike (what warrantee?) otherwise. It cost about $150.00. I plan to do all of the maintenance in the future. After all, it's a Honda! :)

• Clark_Mason

Posted May 05, 2001 - 12:14 PM

I adjusted my valves after about 300 miles. One needed a little tweaking the other three were righ on. Its good to adjust you own that way you know its done correctly and can monitor valve wear first hand.

• MaicoMaico

Posted September 03, 2012 - 07:23 PM

How would one monitor valve wear while timing the valves?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ScottRNelson

Posted September 04, 2012 - 09:46 AM

How would one monitor valve wear while timing the valves?

What do you mean "timing the valves"?

I would expect that if the valve clearance is changing, it is s sign of wear someplace in the valvetrain. Checking valve clearance is easy enough on the XR650L.

• MaicoMaico

Posted September 04, 2012 - 11:58 AM

i miss spoke, i guess i meant to say is: adjusting the valve clearance...

• elsalvadorXR6

Posted September 04, 2012 - 05:07 PM

your valves and seats are new, they break in, usually you dont even have to do any adjustment but the dealer gets a nice wad of bills from you

the seats and valves faces wear in, again normal, after say 1kmiles or so your are good to go with regular service and valve check intervals...

same goes for oil changes, after the first 2 or so you can go into normal service mode

its best to di it yourself, you save m oney plus you get to know the bike and how it works and how easy it is to do

Posted September 05, 2012 - 05:02 AM

Check the valves when new and record the clearances for the future , this way you can monitor any movement

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.