Smog pump kit, do I need it?

6 replies to this topic
  • EX_CR500_Rider

Posted May 02, 2001 - 06:31 PM

I saw a picture of the smog pump removal kit. It looks like some pretty simple parts. I think I can do this without the kit by blocking off the ports myself. Is there any adjustments that need to be done once the ends are all blocked off? Any suggestions? Thanks

------------------

[This message has been edited by EX CR500 Rider (edited 05-03-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 03, 2001 - 08:44 AM

If you are considering a big gas tank you will have to remove the emissions device to get the tank on. You don't have to make any changes or adjustments if you install the block off kit. The kit has everything you need.
Good luck
Kevin

[This message has been edited by KBeach (edited 05-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by KBeach (edited 05-03-2001).]

• ToddW

Posted May 04, 2001 - 02:53 AM

Spend the 20 bucks and get the kit from XR's Only or Applied. Both of them are machined from AL. billet (high quality). I have CNC I can use and wouldn't waste my time for a $20 part.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EX_CR500_Rider

Posted May 04, 2001 - 07:30 PM

Yes, I broke down and baught the kit. But, I was right it would have been a piece of cake to make a flange and locate two 1 cent rubber caps. My question is, where do the crank case gasses vent now?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 08, 2001 - 10:29 AM

Oops

[This message has been edited by KBeach (edited 05-08-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 08, 2001 - 10:36 AM

The crankcase vents to atmosphere now. I used the smog hoses to make up a connection from the crankcase to the air box. Now, under high loads, I have vacuum assist for crankcase ventilation.

• ToddW

Posted May 08, 2001 - 10:41 AM

Are you talking about a smog block-off kit for the XR650R or XR650L? We all have XR650R's and that block-off kit is a billet aluminum plate that uses o-rings to seal two ports in the head, where the smog pump went. The crank case gases vent from the case under the carb to the air box (you can run a K&N breather instead). Hope that helps. If you have a XR650L check out this link for more info! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xrlug

Todd

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.