YZ400F oil leak (sorry- long rant)

5 replies to this topic
  • john21

Posted September 03, 2004 - 11:36 PM

I can't believe it. I work two jobs, still make no money, and haven't ridden my bike in months. The only comfort I get is going to the garage to look at it and think of the day things will get better and I might be able to ride. I go out tonite and find a small amount of oil on the floor. After pulling the glide plate and cleaning the cases, I find no cracks, so I watch to see where it is coming from. It slowly starts to seep from where the center cases meet. Guys, this is killing me. Please someone tell me I do not have to split my cases to replace a gasket. I simply can not afford that right now. My son is begging to go riding, but I don't want to take any chances and break something else I can't afford to fix. If anyone has a temporary fix or a suggestion, I am all ears.
Sorry about all the whining and crying- :thumbsup: :devil: It's been a tough few months.

• SXP

Posted September 04, 2004 - 05:21 PM

The two case halves don't use a gasket per se, but use the form-a-gasket stuff (like Yamabond). The first thing I would do is to make sure all the case bolts (there are a bunch of them - reference your manual) are torqued down correctly. All the bolts (they are all Allen bolts, by the way) tighten from the left side and some of them are inside the alternator/flywheel cover. You may have to get a puller to remove the flywheel in order to check those bolts - I can't remember). A word of caution - the bolts don't take much torque so spare your self further grief down the road by doing this with a proper torque wrench.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

• beezer

Posted September 05, 2004 - 06:42 AM

If the case bolts aren't loose I would turn the bike upside down and use epoxy on the leak.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • john21

Posted September 05, 2004 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have checked the bolts, and they are fine. I was thinking about the epoxy thing already. Looks like thats what I'll do.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

• LJ

Posted September 07, 2004 - 08:52 AM

Are you sure it's not the drain plug that is leaking? The copper gasket on the drain plug needs to be replaced every once in a while. I've had to replace mine twice because it has leaked.

• john21

Posted September 07, 2004 - 07:33 PM

I was hoping it would be that simple, but no such luck. Man, nothing has been easy lately. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.