Clear coating polished rims

6 replies to this topic
  • Smegol

Posted September 03, 2004 - 09:53 PM

Hey,

For some reason I decided to give my dull rims a polish (long story) and am now stuck with some very chromed rims which actually look pretty good. However I don't want to have to keep polishing them to hold the mirror like finish so I was wondering if anyone knows of a type of clear coat that would be tough enough to resist the scratches and abuse that a rim must endure? So far i've just tried some cheap automotive clear coat which was useless. I could peel the stuff off like glad-wrap. Any ideas on what would be suitable?

Thanks.

• 426_Texan

Posted September 04, 2004 - 04:25 AM

For any kind of paint or clear to stick, the surface has to be scuffed up. It simply will NOT stick to a slick surface.

• SureBlue

Posted September 04, 2004 - 06:55 AM

Right, and no way is any coating gonna last on rims; sand and stones eat it up in a second (unless it is a showroom bike) :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeffro426

Posted September 04, 2004 - 07:16 AM

Zoop Seal

A friend of mine is in the hotrod business and swears by this stuff...its a little expensive, but a little goes a long way, especially for a motorcycle rim. Some of his polished aluminum rims hes put the stuff on havent been touched in a couple years and they still look like the day they were polished.

• chrome-crf

Posted September 04, 2004 - 10:24 AM

You can have the rims powdercoated clear which will be very durable. I did my clutch cover and it turned out great and is still like a mirror finish. My boots can't even scratch it up.
Posted Image

• 426_Texan

Posted September 04, 2004 - 11:39 AM

I wasn't aware there was clear powder coat !
That's cool :thumbsup:

Nice bike BTW :devil:

• yz426onNOS

Posted September 05, 2004 - 04:05 PM

Zoop Seal

A friend of mine is in the hotrod business and swears by this stuff...its a little expensive, but a little goes a long way, especially for a motorcycle rim. Some of his polished aluminum rims hes put the stuff on havent been touched in a couple years and they still look like the day they were polished.

I totally forgot about that stuff till this post. That stuff is the shiznit! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.