Newbie-Which Yamaha model (WR or YZ) can be made street legal?

1 reply to this topic
  • johnxyz

Posted September 03, 2004 - 10:56 AM

I'm interested in purchasing either a Yamaha or Honda to be converted to street legal. The XR650R is the Honda model that appears to be converted most often - which Yammie model (the WR4XX or the YZ4XX) can be also converted for street use (DMV plate in NJ)?
Also your opinion of the advantages of this model over the

Thanks, John

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steg211

Posted September 03, 2004 - 07:02 PM

The WR's are easier to make legal. If you tried to make a YZ legal you'd buy alot of the stuff that the WR already has. I don't know first hand or all the details but the WR has a stator to power your lights, a more adaptable (W)ide ®atio transmission a bigger gas tank and other stuff I'm sure I'm leaving out. There are kits out there for just about any bike. Dennis Kirk sells one ($500)but there are probably a bunch out there.
There's alot of XR's on the road and the trails, but it hasn't been updated in forever. The new bikes are water cooled and sport the latest engine, frame, suspension, etc. advances.
I think I'd get WR450, but only cause I've ridden one and think it does alot of different stuff well. Oh yeah, the WR450 has the "button" i.e. electric start :thumbsup:.
Wish I could be more help.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.