DR400Z vs. XR650R

4 replies to this topic
  • trailmaster

Posted March 22, 2001 - 02:53 PM

Can anyone give me any meaningful insight into the pro's and con's of the Suzuki DR400Z and the Honda XR650R. I will be primarily riding on fire trails w/ an occasional romp in the dirt. I have been riding for a few years. My skill level is probably intermediate. Any insight will Help.

Thanks

• borsy

Posted March 23, 2001 - 08:04 AM

If your gonna ride open trails I would say
go with the XR and if your a larger person.
If your average size up to 6' and 190
and ride tighter woods and trails go with
the DRZ. both great trail woods bikes !!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 23, 2001 - 07:16 PM

i just sold my xr650r thank god!
all i can say is good dual-sport.
if all you want to do is get somewhere and back again. the bike is so heavy jumping is virtually impossible, handling in technical sections is awkward and overall power is ho hum. Yes i did all the aftermarket hop ups
and just wasted more money. the best thing i did was sell it a buy a ktm mxc 520. it has 6 speeds, electric start, better power, 40+ lbs less weight. race ready handling and ergos. yet i can ride it all day with less fatigue than my old xr. the difference is the ktm i am actually riding and the with the xr i am just along for the ride.

• velosapiens

Posted March 26, 2001 - 09:04 AM

as soon as i can get street plates (in calif) for a ktm 520, i'll buy one. i think i might be waiting a while tho.
mw

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 26, 2001 - 04:23 PM

Originally posted by trailmaster:
Can anyone give me any meaningful insight into the pro's and con's of the Suzuki DR400Z and the Honda XR650R. I will be primarily riding on fire trails w/ an occasional romp in the dirt. I have been riding for a few years. My skill level is probably intermediate. Any insight will Help.

Thanks

I own the XR because it's the easiest to get street plates for in CA. I'm 5'10" and 175lbs. Bike weight is a big concern. The XR doesn't feel like it weighs 280. I totally disagree with ex xr owner. I can do all the same things I did on my RMX250 plus I can ride it on the street. Yes, you have to respect the extra weight when riding Gran Prix or MX. I can clear all the same jumps and the suspension is stock. It is tuned to my style but I have not put any $ in it. Asfor the motor, It has more power than the tire or track can hold. I have owned many Suzukis and I think you will like either bike. KTMs are good bikes but BIG$$$$, no street plate in CA, and one has any 520's till 2002. Good luck

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.