Hard to keep it going

8 replies to this topic
  • madharvic

Posted September 02, 2004 - 04:26 PM

I have a 03 YZ 450F and all that I do is trail ride. I went to the North Carolina Mountains last weekend and the bike was constantly stalling in sharp tight turns at low RPM's. I did my best to feather the throttle but it still worked me to death. Need some suggestions on how to help with stalling. Heavier flywheel, auto clutch? :thumbsup:

• MXof21

Posted September 02, 2004 - 04:50 PM

Heavier flywheel weight and turn the idle up a bit.

• ovrrdrive

Posted September 02, 2004 - 05:30 PM

I just put a 13T sprocket on the countershaft today on my YZ and it seems to have lowered the first gear almost perfectly. It was only $15 and took me about 10 minutes to put on.

It was money well spent.

If you look it up in the TT store, the part number is 32513.

And I also only trail ride on mine too. :thumbsup:

• Butta

Posted September 03, 2004 - 01:58 AM

When I replaced my WR motor with a YZ motor I swapped the rotors and stators so I could keep my lights. The heavier WR rotor works perfectly with the YZ engine in the tight stuff. I have yet to stall this bike! (unless you count the time I locked the back tire THEN pulled in the clutch) :thumbsup: Anyway, stock gearing works great for the low stuff but leaves me grabbing for a couple more gears....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted September 03, 2004 - 04:02 AM

I have a 03 YZ 450F and all that I do is trail ride. I went to the North Carolina Mountains last weekend and the bike was constantly stalling in sharp tight turns at low RPM's. I did my best to feather the throttle but it still worked me to death. Need some suggestions on how to help with stalling. Heavier flywheel, auto clutch? :devil:

FLYWHEEL FLYWHEEL FLYWHEEL anything over 8oz will help you tremendously :thumbsup:

• flogger

Posted September 03, 2004 - 07:35 AM

I hear that the flywheel is the way to go to help prevent stalling. I only trail ride with mine also and when I went to a 13/51 sprocket setup the stalling virtually went away.
Flog

• John_Lorenz

Posted September 03, 2004 - 07:38 AM

Zstart Auto Clutch

You will never worry about stalling the 4 speed,

• grayracer513

Posted September 03, 2004 - 10:04 AM

Heavier flywheel weight and turn the idle up a bit.

...are the cure for your problems. Even Yamaha added weight to the flywheel of the YZ450 starting in '04. When comparing flywheels, note that there are 2 ways to add weight: bolt-on or built-on (welded in some cases). Bolt on weights have to have a center for the bolts to bolt to, so some of their weight is at their centers, and is very ineffctive in increasing the inertia of the crank. Yamaha's GYT-R (5oz) and Dr.D's (4, 6, & 8oz) are rings added to the outside of the flywheel, so all of their weight is located in the most effective place it can be. The result is that built-on flywheel weights are considerably lighter for any given amount of added inertia.

It is also absolutely true that neither Yamaha nor the Dr.D weight will ever fall off the flywheel.

Oh, yeah, and turn your idle up, and learn to use the clutch in the really tight stuff. :thumbsup:

• yzf450jack

Posted September 04, 2004 - 07:56 AM

Clutch control adjust fuel screw so it run's good off idle 10 oz. flymheel.You drop A couple teeth on the rear not to much it will mess up the rest of your gearing or you put a WR gear bow in it like i did :thumbsup: :devil:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.