XR600 vs XR650

38 replies to this topic
  • XRidiculous

Posted November 24, 2006 - 05:40 AM

Just proof again that XR6's and 650's (^) need to play on separate forums.

The question is: What do you want to do?

People buy Hondas for reliability and quality. The pay off comes later (like for me, new in '98, same motor, same CLUTCH) The bike has a design that didn't need to be touched, and they were cheap as hell at the end of production).

The water-cooled bikes represented the next generation, but took a huge weight penalty, and even though it now has all the bells and whistles-I think most fans would of preferred a (KTM 525) version-with lights.

No need to go any further with this debate until we're talking about a V-Twin 600 (a V-Twin 350 would probably do the trick).

• KAS

Posted November 24, 2006 - 08:55 AM

I owned a new '99 XR600. I got rid of it and bought a new 2001 XR650R.

The 650 was better in every way, and in ALL terrains and conditions.

End of story. Its silly that people still debate this.

• dangerranger21

Posted November 24, 2006 - 09:23 AM

You can still throw an old XR off a cliff or dump it in a river and I swear the darn thing will still fire up no problem... hahaha...

• weskc35k

Posted November 24, 2006 - 04:28 PM

Yeah throw an old XR from a cliff....and leave it there.
My god what am i saying.

• ozjock

Posted November 24, 2006 - 05:59 PM

My 600 will tango with any 650 offroad but on road im not geared for it so yer, i have 2 mates with 650's and both are 2000+ models mine is a 1990, i leave them behind offroad, even they comment on how well my 6 goes.

Id rather a CRF450 though.

• weskc35k

Posted November 24, 2006 - 07:20 PM

Sure it will,still taking your meds Ozjock?
deep breaths man .
Imagine how fast you'd be on a 650R then.

• dangerranger21

Posted November 24, 2006 - 09:06 PM

My old XR100r will leave both of them in the dust! on road and off road so there...

• chpxr

Posted November 24, 2006 - 09:30 PM

your xr100 can't touch my old xr75 and do laps around xr600's and 650's
lol wanna race:ride:

sorry i had to :D :worthy:

• dangerranger21

Posted November 24, 2006 - 09:42 PM

DANG... why did u have to bring out the xr75 on this ordeal.. nah I dont wanna race.. No way will the 100 hang with the xr75, I cant beleive you even own one of those, dont u know they dont make those for a reason... Ur to crazy...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ozjock

Posted November 25, 2006 - 03:50 AM

Sure it will,still taking your meds Ozjock?
deep breaths man .
Imagine how fast you'd be on a 650R then.

Hhahahaha im thinking you must own a 650, ive riden a 650 many a time, from what i thought is it was alot more respnosive but my 6 had better top end pull. I dont care what you think of your biased bike. im sure its faster than anything out there, but hey aslong as we have fun doin what we love.... who cares.... RIGHT.

Maybe if you come to OZ i could show you some aussie outback xr grunt.

Come kick ya tires and light the fires with the big boys...

• creeky

Posted November 25, 2006 - 01:59 PM

I had a '97 XR600 for several years, HRC 628, WP forks, WP Super Adjuster shock, Edelbrock carb, Yosh full exhaust. That bike was every bit as fast, handled just as well as a 650R and was lighter to boot. Sadly, I don't have it any longer. The 650R sitting in the garage is truly a neat bike to ride, didn't need all the mods the 600 got to make it fast, but it is just not as much fun. I guess it's whatever floats your boat.

• rmhrc630

Posted November 25, 2006 - 02:38 PM

I had a '97 XR600 for several years, HRC 628, WP forks, WP Super Adjuster shock, Edelbrock carb, Yosh full exhaust. That bike was every bit as fast, handled just as well as a 650R and was lighter to boot. Sadly, I don't have it any longer. The 650R sitting in the garage is truly a neat bike to ride, didn't need all the mods the 600 got to make it fast, but it is just not as much fun. I guess it's whatever floats your boat.

Jesus Creeky that sounds like an absolute weapon!!!

You ran full house WP suspension?

I've tried to emulate something like what you ran.

• tomb1957

Posted November 29, 2006 - 11:16 PM

Sadly it looks like the 650 is going the way the 600 went. My desert sled is a 98 XR6 it just keeps on going and I can't get myself to lay out a big chunk of change for a new 650r when the 98 has never let me down. The 450 just won Baja, but I have heard you have to really keep up on the maint due to the higher rpm's. I might just have to get a 650r before the only one I can get is a worn out rebuild project. I hope Honda has a big bore waiting to be introduced.

• dangerranger21

Posted November 29, 2006 - 11:22 PM

Sadly it looks like the 650 is going the way the 600 went. I hope Honda has a big bore waiting to be introduced.

Wouldnt THAT BE NICE...

• XR6's_rule

Posted November 30, 2006 - 02:11 AM

Wouldnt THAT BE NICE...

I wouldn't hold your breath! A 450X has won the baja race, that will give Honda the impression that these bikes are "ready for anything", which would have to make the XR650R model redundant.

I would also love Honda to release a new big-bore bike, I've been a huge fan of these having owned 3 XR600's and an XR650R. For the record I didnt like the 650 it was too ungainly even compared to the 600's.

• creeky

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:09 AM

The 450 is fast, light, a blast to ride....but.........I'll bet it doesn't have nearly the longevity of the XR600. In '02, some friends put together a Baja ride on the spur of the moment. Both my bikes were in a state of assembly/disassembly. I bought a dead stock '91 XR600 from a local guy. The bike was not thrashed but nevertheless had quite a bit of use on it, engine had not been apart. I tuned it up, put on new tires, chain & sprockets, a Clarke tank from my 628. I rode the crap out of it for 6 days in Baja and out of the six bikes on the trip, the oldest besides mine being a '99, guess which one required no maintenance other than a precautionary oil change? You guessed it, the old " 6-hunny". A 450 will be lucky to last 1 year with no mechanicals, let alone 11.

• XR6's_rule

Posted November 30, 2006 - 06:24 PM

The 450 is fast, light, a blast to ride....but.........I'll bet it doesn't have nearly the longevity of the XR600. In '02, some friends put together a Baja ride on the spur of the moment. Both my bikes were in a state of assembly/disassembly. I bought a dead stock '91 XR600 from a local guy. The bike was not thrashed but nevertheless had quite a bit of use on it, engine had not been apart. I tuned it up, put on new tires, chain & sprockets, a Clarke tank from my 628. I rode the crap out of it for 6 days in Baja and out of the six bikes on the trip, the oldest besides mine being a '99, guess which one required no maintenance other than a precautionary oil change? You guessed it, the old " 6-hunny". A 450 will be lucky to last 1 year with no mechanicals, let alone 11.

I'm with you here mate! I would also much rather have a bike that goes the distance too, but it looks as if these high-maintenance bikes (ie CRF/WRF) are the "flavour of the month" as far as the manufacturers are concerned.

• KAS

Posted December 04, 2006 - 02:10 PM

I owned both bikes.

I haven't owned either in over 4 years, they're long gone, so I have no reason to be biased.

I know the 650 was a better race bike.

If you're faster than your buddy's on an XR600, than congrats, its you not the bike.

• destroyer_au

Posted December 24, 2006 - 11:43 AM

There's been a bit of talk about top speed for these bikes.. So I thought I would add a bit.

Can't say much about the XR600R, as I've never owned one, but if they are anything like the XR400R I can understand why people like them ;-)

I used to run an 15/38 gearing on my XR400, and I could get it up to 145km/h (on the rev limiter) if given some space on the highway.... not really a nice thing to do to the engine, but at that speed the bike will develop headshake even with smooth tyres if you relax your arms for long enough (knobbies throw the head around a lot)

I'm currently running 15/42 on my XR650R and I have had it to 180km/h (and i didnt need much space, really).. That's the fastest I've been on it yet, and to be honost it feels a hell of a lot more stable at speed than the 400. Still at 180km/h strong wind pressure combined with a little bit of headshake when decelerating doesnt really feel so nice either ;-D

I like both bikes a lot, but the 650 is definitely great if high speed or long distance cruising between trails is your thing. Im absolutely sure it can do 200km/h with 15/38 gearing. With 16t/36t sprockets on it i really wonder just how fast it could go.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.