XR650R dual sport sugestions?

11 replies to this topic
  • TwinSparXR

Posted March 18, 2001 - 05:48 PM

I just struck a deal with one of my riding buddies to trade my 96 XR280 and some cash for his 00 XR650R.
The plan is to buy a dual sport kit for it and ride it back and forth to work and some trail riding here in IL and some dual sport events.
I have an XR400 for tighter trails and HareScramble racing, so I thought this would be a great dual sport bike.
Does anyone have ane suggestions on what kit to buy and what else might come in handy on a long dual sport ride?

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 18, 2001 - 06:32 PM

The Baja Designs kit is very well put together. Instructions are excellent! About the only thing I dont like is the rear brake light switch.
http://www.bajadesigns.com

If I were to do it again, I would pass on the front headlight and signals. Order some handguards with turn lights in them, and then convert the stock XR light to a hi-lo 55w unit. I am also going to pick up an ignition switch.

Check here for a LOT of cool parts. Be sure to browse the pages.
http://www.fourstrok...com/DSkits.html

• XR650Surfer

Posted July 02, 2008 - 09:27 PM

I went mostly Baja Design for street legalizing my new 03' XR650R but didn't buy the entire kit for the very reason Matt pointed out since I bought hydraulic brake switches for my rear brake light at my local Honda dealer. Matt, any more info on where to find the handguard w/turn lights and the how-to on converting the stock XR light to hi-lo?

• BenDiesel

Posted July 02, 2008 - 11:33 PM

this is something im very interested in. i would like to convert my 86 600r

• wpwarhawk

Posted July 03, 2008 - 07:00 AM

I plan to DS my BRP with the kit from http://www.sicassracing.com/main.htm

Of course I'm lucky that I can get by with a minimal DS conversion here in Texas.

• LT1coupe

Posted July 03, 2008 - 08:41 AM

The BD kit on mine works well, but since I don't have to run turn signals here in AZ, I would have been fine building my own kit using better components. For minimal legality, I would have the headlight switch on the headlight shroud & a grounding push kill button type switch for the horn.
The only real gripes with the BD kit are the floppy tailight & the weak headlight, other than that it actually works pretty well. It's kinda fun to honk the horn at your buddy when he slows up on a trail!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mar650

Posted July 03, 2008 - 09:16 AM

I am pleased with my BD kit as well, plug and play type installation. I also bought one of those ICO speedo units from BD... works great!

• XR650Surfer

Posted July 03, 2008 - 10:07 AM

Here in Oregon using the TrailTech Enduro computer works well with the DMV for a running speedometer and odometer

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 03, 2008 - 12:41 PM

I have tried:
- making my own dual sport kit from other websites parts lists (TT's does not offer the parts separately for this).
- Dual Sport America's kit: had issues with the kit and the company
- Trick Dual Sport: good, but ugly (to me)
- Baja Designs: I keep going back to thier kit for a few reasons:
Customer support. You call, they answer, they know the product.
Build quality: thicker wire in the harness, long leads, better terminations, etc.
Looks: clean and tidy
Availability: everywhere, including TT.

• BenDiesel

Posted July 03, 2008 - 12:55 PM

If I were to do it again, I would pass on the front headlight and signals. Order some handguards with turn lights in them, and then convert the stock XR light to a hi-lo 55w unit. I am also going to pick up an ignition switch.

do you have any more info on the conversion for the stock xr headlight?

has any one used the procycle kits?
http://www.procycle....uildyourharness

• mar650

Posted July 03, 2008 - 12:55 PM

BD... :thumbsup:

I have tried:
- making my own dual sport kit from other websites parts lists (TT's does not offer the parts separately for this).
- Dual Sport America's kit: had issues with the kit and the company
- Trick Dual Sport: good, but ugly (to me)
- Baja Designs: I keep going back to thier kit for a few reasons:
Customer support. You call, they answer, they know the product.
Build quality: thicker wire in the harness, long leads, better terminations, etc.
Looks: clean and tidy
Availability: everywhere, including TT.

• 2strokessuck

Posted July 03, 2008 - 01:24 PM

For commuting I suggest a bigger tank, IMS 4.6 is great. And a 200 watt stator is something worth having so you can have bright lights, I love mine.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.