XR600 - What to do For Tall Heavy Rider

4 replies to this topic
  • deltaski

Posted September 02, 2004 - 02:02 PM

Hi there. I am brand new to this forum. Just got myself a 1994 XR600. It's all stock except for CR500 forks. I have read several times and have noticed myself that the suspension is rather soft. Especially for me: I am 6'7" and weigh about 230 pounds. What do you all recommend as far as modifications to the bike to fit someone like me? I am just a trail rider. Don't need anything too exotic. But I do want to be able to take an occasional jump. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

• Roll_it_on

Posted September 02, 2004 - 03:43 PM

Welcome to the forum! Besides getting the suspension set up for your weight which is important with any of us I would say getting some taller bars (CR high bend) to give you more room and work much better for when you stand. You may want to go even higher then just the bar change out and add a new top clamp that will allow you to raise the bar mounts also. Some larger foot pegs might help as well to give you better control and less fatigue. Enjoy the bike :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • deltaski

Posted September 02, 2004 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. What specifically do I need to do set the suspension up for someone like me?

• smashinz2002

Posted September 02, 2004 - 08:11 PM

I don't know how worn out the suspension is on your '94, but in any case, you will need the next higher spring rate for the forks and the rear shock. Another thing you should consider is changing the fork oil and raising the level up a little higher. I don't know how much use is on your '94 XR, but if it's been used a lot, it's possible that the rear shock needs a rebuild also. Otherwise, if it's still good, you can adjust the compression damping on it to stiffen it up some. And add a stiffer spring of course if it's still too soft for you.
Good luck with it~!
LL.
Posted Image

• don87xr600

Posted September 02, 2004 - 08:12 PM

the cr 500 forks aren't an improvement. You'll need new springs front and rear and a tall seat will help.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.