top end rebuild - need some crosshatch marks

3 replies to this topic
  • tool

Posted September 02, 2004 - 01:51 PM

i was going to put in my hi-comp piston today and i realized the the cylinder has NO crosshatch marks the length of the piston travel. so i went to the hardware store and got a "glaze breaker", designed to use in cylinders. it has 3 stones and a pressure adjustment but im still afraid to use it on my cylinder.
but i need the crosshatch marks, so is this safe to use?
i plan on doing it tonight so, any help would be great. someone stop me if this is wrong... thanx

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted September 02, 2004 - 02:42 PM

You'll be fine with that 3 stone hone.

Put it on your drill and work it in and out, repeat if neccesary, until you begin to see microscopic crosshatching marks at roughly 30 degree angles to the cylinder bore.

I don't know if these cylinders have nickasil coatings in the cylinder, but this is still fine to perform on a cylinder with this type of coating.

As you are honing the cylinder, chock it up in a bench vise and continually spray a penetrating oil to flush the cuttings out. You shouldn't have to hone it for more than 2 to 5 minutes with a drill.

Don't ever use a china-ball hone though!!

Dirty

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yz426King

Posted September 02, 2004 - 05:51 PM

...crosshatching marks at roughly 30 degree angles to the cylinder bore...

This is correct.

I don't know if these cylinders have nickasil coatings in the cylinder, but this is still fine to perform on a cylinder with this type of coating.

Yes, they do have a coating. Yes, it is still fine to use this type of a hone.

As you are honing the cylinder, chock it up in a bench vise and continually spray a penetrating oil to flush the cuttings out.

This is correct as well, but you would want to use cutting oil, not penetrating oil. But, in a bind, any lube is better than none.

You shouldn't have to hone it for more than 2 to 5 minutes with a drill.

2 TO 5 MINUTES!!!! :thumbsup: DO NOT hone it for any more than 10-20 SECONDS at a time. The last thing that you want to do is destroy your cyl.

Don't ever use a china-ball hone though!!

And why not??? :awww: Eric Gorr recomends using ONLY a ball type hone, especially for those inexperienced in honing cyl's. Actually what you should be using is a 240 grit Aluminu Oxide ball type hone that is slightly smaller than the cyl bore. If you do use a three stone spring loaded hone, set the tension as low as it will go and be VERY carefull to make sure that you dont knick the edges of the plating while inserting and removing the hone. The edges of the plating are the weakest points. Also be carefull as to not insert the hone past the hinge points of the stones, otherwise the hone will try to pull itself out of the cyl.

Another thing, after you are done honing, clean the cyl. with SOAP AND HOT WATER. Unlike solvents (brake cleaner....) the soap will do a MUCH better job at making sure that all of the metal particles are out of the cyl.

The best and easiest thing to do is to put the cyl. in the dishwasher. Then you have an extra 30 minutes to have a beer and [@#$%&*!] for a while. :devil:

• tool

Posted September 02, 2004 - 08:02 PM

cool. thanx for the prompt response gentlemen. there are some hatch marks now, but it appears the piston was rocking a little back and forth. my rings must have been very worn. everything should be fine afterwords though.
im gonna use the hone very lightly and put her all back together. cant wait to try the high compression. :devil:
thanx guys :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.