Oil Change after 1st Ride

24 replies to this topic
  • mmbasa

Posted September 02, 2004 - 11:25 AM

I did my break in ride and am going to do an oil change. Are you guys replacing the oil filter on the 450's or are you reusing them. The 426's you could clean the filter but I don't think you can for the paper ones. What are you using for filters, $10 per filter is kinda steep after a while.

• dmxracing

Posted September 02, 2004 - 11:33 AM

Not sure about cleaning the paper filter but I used a 426 filter for the longest time on my 03 then I purchased a CRT perfmance stainless filter from Rocky Mountain for $40.

How is that 05, I am planning on picking one up any day now...

• mmbasa

Posted September 02, 2004 - 11:37 AM

The thing is awesome. I came off an 02 426 and its a completely different bike. Motor and suspension wise hands down a winner.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 02, 2004 - 12:53 PM

I did my break in ride and am going to do an oil change. Are you guys replacing the oil filter on the 450's or are you reusing them. The 426's you could clean the filter but I don't think you can for the paper ones. What are you using for filters, $10 per filter is kinda steep after a while.

I would replace the first one especially if it has metal shavings in it - this is normal. After the 1st time you can use the paper filters for up to 3 oil changes. I bought a Scotts - stainless and rotate this with the paper - do not use 426filters on your 450 - micron size is larger on the 426 filters.

How is the 05 BTW????Suspension???

• mmbasa

Posted September 02, 2004 - 01:09 PM

How is the 05 BTW????Suspension???

The 05 is good. The suspension was really stiff on the first ride, but I could feel it was way better than the 426 on landings. Had a real smooth action and no hard clanking landings, or bouncing around. I cased a small down hill double and barely even felt it. If I didn't see myself case it I would have never know.

• ovrrdrive

Posted September 02, 2004 - 05:35 PM

I agree with above...

Change it the first time, then go 3-4 changes with them.

Of course, I change oil every other ride. If you plan on going longer than that, change the filter more often.

• grayracer513

Posted September 03, 2004 - 10:19 AM

Chuck the OEM paper filter and use a Scott's Stainless. You can then wash and reuse the filter with every change as you can the bronze units in the older bikes.

The Scott's is also somewhat sturdier than the brass, and filters smaller particles than the even the paper one.

• mmbasa

Posted September 03, 2004 - 04:26 PM

Where are you guys getting the stainless steel ones and what are you paying?

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted September 03, 2004 - 04:40 PM

the 02 filters (the brass screen ones) fit the 03,04,and 05's. They drop less oil pressure so more oil gets to the cam, which is a good thing indeed.

Just buy a couple of them and swap out at each oil change. On my 250's I have changed oil every ride day, and the filters have lasted a year now.

• grayracer513

Posted September 03, 2004 - 09:04 PM

Scott's is about $65 over the counter, which makes it free after the 5th filter "change".

Saving money is one of my favorite things, but I learned a long time ago about the value of an ounce of prevention. I use the Scott's because I think it's a superior oil filter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dmxracing

Posted September 03, 2004 - 09:58 PM

Check out the CRT Performance stainless filters available at www.rockymountain.com. $40.00 They are even blue anodized!

:thumbsup:

• ovrrdrive

Posted September 04, 2004 - 03:20 AM

Check out the CRT Performance stainless filters available at www.rockymountain.com. $40.00 They are even blue anodized!

:thumbsup:

Your link is to a web hosting company...

I think you meant rocky mountain atv...

http://www.rockymoun...able Oil Filter

I don't see one listed for the 450... Closest they have is 01-02 250...

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted September 04, 2004 - 04:09 AM

the 02's fit the newer bikes.

• ovrrdrive

Posted September 04, 2004 - 04:38 AM

And so they are...

http://www.furious-f...s.com/id35.html

One size fits all Yamaha I guess.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted September 04, 2004 - 05:28 AM

has anyone seen a spec on how well they filter and how much pressure drop they have?

I dont mind spending money on good stuff, but I need something to show it's good and not just for sale.

• ovrrdrive

Posted September 04, 2004 - 05:45 AM

I was reading their spec page and the only thing they say about how well they work is

Ultra fine weaved type 304 stainless steel filter mesh filters TWICE more than paper filters!

Now. Exactly how do you want to read that statement?

It doesn't say they filter twice as good, or twice the particles or anything remotely relating to the quality of filtration. All it is for sure saying is that they have half the resistance to flow as the paper filter does allowing twice the flow through it.

Nowhere on the site could I find anything about how well they work.

Of course as often as I change my oil I think it would be a safe bet to go with though. I'll get one eventually, but it isn't very high on my list right now.

Screw this crap with the storm. I'm taking the bike out. I'll be on later. :thumbsup:

• ThumpDave

Posted September 04, 2004 - 01:59 PM

I read an article in Motocross action Mag. from one of the Mech's that said an oil filter is good for 15 hrs. Now I dont know about you guys but I ride hard for about 10 min or so and rest for about 30 min. I doubt my bike gets 15 hr's in 8-10 rides.
I have a stainless in my bike I just bought 01 426 bored to 450 / w/ 450 compression cam etc. anyhow I need the lowdown on the cleaning proceedure --- do you clean with Gas or mineral spirits?
What do you use?
Dave :thumbsup:

• ThumpDave

Posted September 04, 2004 - 01:59 PM

I read an article in Motocross action Mag. from one of the Mech's that said an oil filter is good for 15 hrs. Now I dont know about you guys but I ride hard for about 10 min or so and rest for about 30 min. I doubt my bike gets 15 hr's in 8-10 rides.
I have a stainless in my bike I just bought 01 426 bored to 450 / w/ 450 compression cam etc. anyhow I need the lowdown on the cleaning proceedure --- do you clean with Gas or mineral spirits?
What do you use?

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted September 04, 2004 - 02:23 PM

I use 02 brass filters and rinse them with gas. I always have an ample supply of gas. :thumbsup:

I havent seen any significan wear in the top end of either 250 in a year of riding as a weekend warrior. I change oil every ride day.

• grayracer513

Posted September 04, 2004 - 08:06 PM

anyhow I need the lowdown on the cleaning proceedure --- do you clean with Gas or mineral spirits?
What do you use?

I start with clean (as in new) mineral spirits in a small can. I hold a fingertip over the outlet hole so that what I rinse off of the outside doesn't get inside (oil flows from the outside to the inside, so the dirt's on the out side of the filter).

Then I use a really good carb cleaning product called Berryman's B12 and spray it through thoroughly from the inside out. Next, I dry it with 35 psi air, again, from the inside out, followed by a second B12 rinse from the outside in, just in case.

The great thing about the Scott's filters is that they are welded, not glued together, and they can really take these repeated cleanings well.

Gasoline should never be used as anything but a fuel. Too toxic, and way too flammable.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.