Thumpers

3 replies to this topic
  • Pablo

Posted June 22, 2001 - 10:13 PM

Here's one guys and gals.
A very good friend of mine always told me to weigh the options before making big financial decisions, so I'll ask for assistance on this one. Presently, I ride a 2-stroke dirtbike, of which I won't mention color. I am looking at buying a new or newer bike in the Spring.
I have 3 buds that are on thumpers and enjoying them like crazy.
So, the question I have to ask is what are the positives and negatives of owning a thumper.

Thanks Pablo

• Tony_Miller

Posted June 23, 2001 - 02:30 AM

I trail ride and this is what I think are the good and bad of a thumper.

Good:
If you cover long distances you don't have to worry about two-stroke oil to refuel.

You don't have to worry about smashing expansion chambers when crossing logs/rocks.

Does not require as much shifting and it's easier to be lazy on hills.

Doesn't seem to tire you out as fast as a two stroke.

Bad:

Tires you out more than a two stroke when you crash/fall and have to pick it up and restart it.

The weight is noticeable in the tight situations and trying to slow down for corners.

The engines are harder to work on, more complicated, more expensive to repair, and not necessarily any more reliable. I actually have had better reliability out of two strokes I've owned than the four strokes I've owned. (RM125/XR250/WR200/WR400)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JamesD

Posted June 24, 2001 - 12:44 AM

Originally posted by Tony Miller:
Bad:

Tires you out more than a two stroke when you crash/fall and have to pick it up and restart it.

The weight is noticeable in the tight situations and trying to slow down for corners.

The engines are harder to work on, more complicated, more expensive to repair, and not necessarily any more reliable. I actually have had better reliability out of two strokes I've owned than the four strokes I've owned. (RM125/XR250/WR200/WR400)

Starting issues are usually related to certain bikes. I've never had trouble starting any of the thumpers I've owned except an XT500 and my WR400. It seems Yammi still hasn't figured out that kink yet.

Weight does not have to be a problem. As competition increases with the thumpers the weight will drop to almost that of a 2 smoker. However, the center of gravity will probably be higher on the thumpers.

Engines harder to work on??? I've ridden the heck out of all my bikes and mine have generally spent less time in the shop than my friends two strokes. Self tensioning cam chains and such help a lot and thumpers don't need new rings as often as 2 strokes.

The new Honda will have separate oil for the trannie and only one OH cam. That should reduce weight, lower the center of gravity and improve reliability even more.

• Tony_Miller

Posted June 24, 2001 - 07:09 AM

Yes, the differences between two and four strokes are definitely converging. As far a weight, I don't know if a four stroke motor can ever be as light as a two stroke with the same power. There are always going to be tradeoffs. With the power valved water cooled two strokes, there is not a huge difference in complexity of the engines, but there are still more moving/wearing parts in a four stroke motor. I owned a '92 WR200 since new. After 5 years of riding I thought I should probably change the piston/rings. I tore it down and upon inspection I could not find anything that needed replacment. The piston and rings were still well within spec. I also own a '91 KTM 125MX that needs rings constantly, even though it hardly gets used. The cost of a Wiseco piston kit for my WR400 - $130, compared to $50 typically for a two stroke. As far a starting, I have never really had a PROBLEM starting my WR400, it just requires expending a lot more energy after a fall than a two stroke. I'm not trying to bash either two or four strokes. If I had to buy a new bike right now, I'm not sure what I would even get. I really like my brothers KTM 200EXC, it's a real woods weapon. But I enjoy my WR. I couldn't get a new bike if I wanted to, because I could never decide which one! WR250F? WR426F? 400EXC? 520EXC? 200EXC? Wait for a XR450?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.