I rode a YZ426...My Thoughts

10 replies to this topic
  • XRSpeedRacer

Posted March 05, 2001 - 09:00 PM

I went out and rode a friends YZ426 this past weekend and have some very interesting comments relating to it. First off, the thing has some really stiff suspension and its a PITA to start the thing. I mean suspension that beats your arms when going over small moggle like obstacles. On the other hand the thing is so lite that you can easily lean back on it to get the front end off the ground. If you wanna get teh front end over small obstacles it does that with the greatest of ease due to its weight. However, one thing that I noticed and it may just be me, but the thing has to to be revved constantly. You have to keep the revs up from stalling and from what I observed the bikes rpm climb and drop whenever you hit an obstacle. Like if you hit a small rut at a 90 degree angle going at a realaxing pace, the rpms drop a lot and it kinda boggs until you open the throttle for a second then it starts to rip again. But to add to this comment, I didnt ride it at high speed, just low in the rpm band of first and second going through mud and slop so it might be a little better on dry land, I really wouldnt know so dont hold my opinion in very strong regard on that issue...just my own personal observation. The bike does turn a little more precise than ours does and that seems to be because of the smaller length and probably better suspension. Once off the bike and back on mine I immediately notice the weight of the XR. However, I also notice the absolute cushion of a seat compared to the YZ and immdiately feel comfortable unlike on the YZ where the gear shifter and the brake pedal felt a lot closer to the peg making it awkward for my Size 14 boot to shift. Once moving again the suspension definately feels softer than the YZ but not too soft...the just right feel that perhaps is only because I have been riding this a lot longer than the short stint with the YZ. In all honestly the YZ would kick our ass on a MX course. It is far more inclined for that riding and the motor and suspension are set up perfectly for it. The XR is more inclined for fireroad blazing and open areas to ride in where I truly believe the XR would shine like a billion watt lightbulb, while tearing sh!t up everywhere. In the woods it would be up to the rider considering the YZ has a lighter flywheel causing you to keep the rpms up to keep from stalling and the "possible" bogging on the low end(my personal speculation only!!!), yet the XR has a sheer weight disadvantage(ie. manuverability). I personally love the XR for its awesome torquey motor but I have to admit the YZ's snappy motor has me intrigued. Basically, for a mx track with jumps or an extremely tight track where weight and flickability counts, the YZ would most likely have my choice due to its rev happy nature and stiff suspension. But for creek riding, fireroad riding, trail riding, and flat out speeds and long riding occur...gimme the XR, I just love the torque and the gobs of power from anwhere in the rpm range. But what really got me about the XR was......that woderful cushiony seat :), hehe. (sorry for the misspelled words or poor grammer, I just got off work and im TIRED, hehe, L8r)

Aaron Z
2000XR650R w/hrc kit

• forloop

Posted March 06, 2001 - 07:19 AM

Hi Aaron,

Well, I changed the plug after you left and my YZ starting fine again. I think the combination of too cold of a plug and slow speed riding fouled it. That was the first time I had any starting problems.

I don't think your accessment of the bikes it too far off. I personaly think the XR400 is very under rated. I know when I am ready to just cruze around the trails I will get a XR400. I think you would appreciate the YZ more if you rode it longer and faster.

Riding the XR650R around was fine. It is a little tuff in the tight stuff. It was fine in the long straights. If you are going to ride long distances it would be hard to beat going slow or fast.

They are two different bike. To me it does not make sense to compare them side by side. They were designed for two different purposes, Motocrosser and Desert Racer. It's like comparing my '96 Impala SS to my '00 Camaro SS. Last note, the XR400 is the utilmate play bike!

P.S. Aaron I think I am going to try to ride at Highlands Sunday. I have not been there is a while. They use to have some long sweepers than would be interesting to try on your bike.

------------------
Rick
01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

• XRSpeedRacer

Posted March 06, 2001 - 10:31 PM

"To me it does not make sense to compare them side by side. They were designed for two different purposes, Motocrosser and Desert Racer."
I know it sounds fishy, but I actually was wanting to put that in there near the part where I was describing what I personally thought each one shined at but I guess I forgot...seriously, I swear :). But yeah, like I was saying earlier, it wasnt exactly a complete evaluation considering it was a very short ride and I wasnt able to bring out the parts of your bike that shined most. However, during the short ride, I could VERY easily see your bike running circles around mine on a MX or SX track. This sunday I'm gonna head out to Spring Creek because it should be dried out by then. If not, I would be more than happy to join anybody at Highlands, I have never been there and I think it would be a blast to see me and my bike get torn up, hehe. I can just see myself hauling around a long turn to see a huge jump right in front of me knowing im about to die :D. Ill email you for further information on it cause I do think it would be rather interesting to try it out.

PS. I dont know why, but that snappy motor in your bike has me intriqued, I wonder what a snappy XR650R motor would be like.
Aaron Z
2000XR650R

[This message has been edited by XRSpeedRacer (edited 03-07-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 14, 2001 - 02:45 PM

One thing I think you shouldnt really consider when comparing the two bikes is the stiffness of the suspension, unless you're dead set against buying new springs...

Flywheel weights are also available if you want to make the YZ torque like the XR, but then again, if you want an XR, get an XR.

Personally, my favorite two mods for the XR are a taller seat (makes it easier to stand up from sitting position), and mikuni flat slide carb & jetting (improves power, snap, and ease of starting)

-dave

• Clark_Mason

Posted March 15, 2001 - 08:07 PM

Dave

What Mikuni carb are you running and what jets. I'v installed a Mikuni TM40 flatslide pumper carb I used to use on my Husaberg FE600E and am now jetting it for the XR650R. Are you running the same carb or just a regular TM flatslide carb??

Clark

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sKiNNyWhEaT

Posted March 17, 2001 - 12:45 AM

Originally posted by XRSpeedRacer:
"To me it does not make sense to compare them side by side. They were designed for two different purposes, Motocrosser and Desert Racer."
I know it sounds fishy, but I actually was wanting to put that in there near the part where I was describing what I personally thought each one shined at but I guess I forgot...seriously, I swear :). But yeah, like I was saying earlier, it wasnt exactly a complete evaluation considering it was a very short ride and I wasnt able to bring out the parts of your bike that shined most. However, during the short ride, I could VERY easily see your bike running circles around mine on a MX or SX track. This sunday I'm gonna head out to Spring Creek because it should be dried out by then. If not, I would be more than happy to join anybody at Highlands, I have never been there and I think it would be a blast to see me and my bike get torn up, hehe. I can just see myself hauling around a long turn to see a huge jump right in front of me knowing im about to die :D. Ill email you for further information on it cause I do think it would be rather interesting to try it out.

PS. I dont know why, but that snappy motor in your bike has me intriqued, I wonder what a snappy XR650R motor would be like.
Aaron Z
2000XR650R

[This message has been edited by XRSpeedRacer (edited 03-07-2001).]

spring creek as in houston ..??? im in spring . in tx. and ride a xr430..

• XRSpeedRacer

Posted March 22, 2001 - 05:20 PM

Yeah, Spring Creek, as in Houston. I'm heading there again tomorrow afternoon(Friday) with a friend on his 4-wheeler while I will be on my XR650r. Feel free to drop by if you want, my number is 281.443.3465 or 281.443.6836 . Drop a line and we can meet up if you want. I sometimes go on Sundays so if you feel like going then, drop a line then also.

Aaron Z

• sKiNNyWhEaT

Posted March 24, 2001 - 01:30 AM

HAHA..XRspeedRAceR :). i HAD TONS O FUN AND WE ARE GONNA ride again. :D.
those horse trails ROCKED!. i still thnk theres something wrong with the jettting on that Xr. im gonna call you sunday and try and hook up another ride, maybe bring dude and his DS. although he says those trails we rode SUCKED when he was on them, but its like you said :D that wide ass frame isnt good in the tight stuff. damn i cant wait for seat of new tires!!

• bhunt

Posted April 01, 2001 - 03:48 PM

"First off, the thing has some really stiff suspension and its a PITA to start the thing."

I have never ridden the YZ426. I have a WR426f which is what you should be comparing to. I agree my WR is a little stiff over small stutter bumps, but it is breaking in, and it is perfect over whoops and such. I have heard the PITA to start before. I can tell you that I don't get that! Always first or second kick. My buddy that also has a WR426 and has stumps for legs (short legs) had a heck of a time starting his XR400 but no problems starting the WR426.

"However, one thing that I noticed and it may just be me, but the thing has to to be revved constantly. You have to keep the revs up from stalling and from what I observed the bikes rpm climb and drop whenever you hit an obstacle. Like if you hit a small rut at a 90 degree angle going at a realaxing pace, the rpms drop a lot and it kinda boggs until you open the throttle for a second then it starts to rip again."

Maybe the larger flywheel and different cam timing of the WR makes the difference here. I have no problem riding with the family on the WR.

"However, I also notice the absolute cushion of a seat compared to the YZ and immdiately feel comfortable unlike on the YZ where the gear shifter and the brake pedal felt a lot closer to the peg making it awkward for my Size 14 boot to shift."

Right on both accounts. The seat on the YZ or WR are actually redwood planks :) , Yamaha calls them seats but we know better! I sent mine to Guts racing and they put some foam in. Probably still not as soft as the XR's (that was my choice), still lets you move around agressively but no splinters now! I'm OK with the foot controls with my size 11 1/2 boot.

"But for creek riding, fireroad riding, trail riding, and flat out speeds and long riding occur...gimme the XR, I just love the torque and the gobs of power from anwhere in the rpm range. But what really got me about the XR was......that woderful cushiony seat , hehe. (sorry for the misspelled words or poor grammer, I just got off work and im TIRED, hehe, L8r)"

You appear to have the right bike for you, that's awesome!
If you get a chance ride a WR426F and compare to that since it's the enduro bike like yours. It has the bigger flywheel weight, wider ratio gearbox (hence WR), different timing, and a little softer suspension setup.

Brian

[This message has been edited by bhunt (edited 04-01-2001).]

• XRSpeedRacer

Posted April 05, 2001 - 11:43 PM

I didnt think about the differences between the YZ and the WR so your right in the fact that it wasnt a good comparison . The differences could quite possibly drastically change my opinion of the 426. All I have to do now is find one to ride, hehe. :)

------------------
Aaron Z
2000XR650R w/HRC Power Up Kit
"Whose your favorite Little Rascal..........Spanky?"

[This message has been edited by XRSpeedRacer (edited 04-06-2001).]

• YZ400Court

Posted April 07, 2001 - 03:51 PM

"Do ya think she goes out with one of the YANKEES"

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.