650R leaking behind front sprocket

5 replies to this topic
  • DirtyChris

Posted September 02, 2004 - 05:59 AM

I've got an oil leak comming from behind the front sprocket... or the shifter. Its so messy, I tried to wipe it up and ride to see where it was comming from but its just all over, so I'm going to replace both of them.

Has anyone done this? What am I getting myself into? How do you get that old seal out? hook it and pull or ?? And how will I get the new one in (hopeing I can find a replacement part today...) wihtout bending it all up?

Any hints, tricks, tips, would be great.

• qadsan

Posted September 02, 2004 - 06:36 AM

It's a known issue on year 2000 & 2001 XR650R's. The fix is simple and inexpensive. Just lay the bike on its side without draining the oil when replacing the seal. Here's a link for you to check out...

http://www.xr650r.us/issues/3.shtml

• DirtyChris

Posted September 03, 2004 - 06:11 AM

leak fixed, piece of cake.
What threw me is, the dip [@#$%&*!] that owned the bike before me actualy had 2 of those seals in behind the sprocket... one in where its s'posed to be and another just sitting there on the spline behind the sprocket, infront of the C-clip... I was looking at the microphish on line and it wasnt making sence till I went and bought the part and saw that the "dust cover" and the seal were the same thing.

I put it back together like it was s'posed to be and all is well.
Thanks quadsan :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moredesert

Posted September 03, 2004 - 06:25 AM

I had to replace a seal on the trail on a Trailboss tour in Baja. I carry a seal and a snap ring tool with me. Man does that make a mess when it goes. :thumbsup: Look on the bright side you don't have to oil your chain.

• Modsport02

Posted May 21, 2006 - 10:11 PM

Finding this thread is a huge relief, I just had the same problem with my 01' 650r and I though I was gonna have to split the case...im stoked its an easy fix, ill be riding on no time :ride:

• Fordskin

Posted May 21, 2006 - 11:37 PM

Don't just think its only the early models that had this problem. I had 2000klm's on my 05 model when it dropped its guts.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.