GasTankFor650

6 replies to this topic
  • XR650RFIRE

Posted February 25, 2001 - 07:45 PM

Im looking fo a larger gas tank for my thirsty XR650R. Does anyone have any info on the different brands(IMS,Clark,etc)? I would like to keep my fins so I was thinking of going with a 3.6 gal or a 4 gal. Which would you like,or already have? Any info would be helpful.
Thanks XR650RFIRE

• Clark_Mason

Posted February 27, 2001 - 08:01 PM

IMS makes several larger tanks for the XR650R. They make a 3.2, 4.6 and a 7.0 gal. Clarke Mfg. also makes tanks for the XR650R. A number of people on the XR650R egroups site have reported that the color match for the Honda red is better with the Clark tanks if you are interested in a red tank. The Clark 4.3 gallon tank appears to be a real popular size for the 650. It sounds like the 3.2 gal IMS tank really holds 3.4 gallons and is one of the best for not interfearing with riding position when compared to stock--its the smallest and is reported to be slimmer at the seat to tank junction.

My mileage on my 650 varies from a low of 18MPG to a high of 35MPG so with the stock tank at 2.6 gallons you get from 50 to 80 miles on a tank. If you need over 80 miles out of a tank get at least a 4 gallon tank if 70 is your minimum you might get by with a 3.4. Kinda depends on you requirements.

Clark

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 28, 2001 - 11:33 AM

Originally posted by XR650RFIRE:
Im looking fo a larger gas tank for my thirsty XR650R. Does anyone have any info on the different brands(IMS,Clark,etc)? I would like to keep my fins so I was thinking of going with a 3.6 gal or a 4 gal. Which would you like,or already have? Any info would be helpful.
Thanks XR650RFIRE

I have an IMS 4.6gal and a Clark 4.3gal. Both fit great, and look good. There is a slight difference in appearance and the clark gas cap has a built in check valve for the breather. There is no 4.0gal that I know of. I rode 179 miles on and off road with the IMS tank last Saturday. I was on fumes when I pulled into the gas station. If you're interested I'm going to return or sell the Clark.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trailguy

Posted February 28, 2001 - 01:01 PM

Thanks XR650RFIRE

• trailguy

Posted February 28, 2001 - 01:03 PM

Thanks XR650RFIRE

I have a Clarke 4.3 gallon tank, fits great, looks great, cost was $155, what more could you ask for! Put the factory stickers on it and it looks stock.

• Pigamus_Maximus

Posted February 28, 2001 - 11:01 PM

posted by KBeach:
I have an IMS 4.6gal and a Clark 4.3gal. Both fit great, and look good . . . If you're interested I'm going to return or sell the Clark.

First, where do you live?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 01, 2001 - 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Pigamus Maximus:
posted by KBeach:
I have an IMS 4.6gal and a Clark 4.3gal. Both fit great, and look good . . . If you're interested I'm going to return or sell the Clark.

First, where do you live?

Anaheim, CA (Disneyland area)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.