WHAT IS THE SINGEL BEST MOD FOR XR650L

51 replies to this topic
  • BOLT Performance

Posted January 26, 2006 - 07:12 PM

Larger plastic tank weighs 7 pounds less... Don't fill it up all the way and save 7 pounds... or fill it up and it weighs the same as full smaller metal tank... get the extra miles for FREE !

• goblin127

Posted January 26, 2006 - 09:20 PM

Daves mod hands down. you can add all kinds of stuff to this bike but if it doesnt run the way it was intended to then what good is it.

• radvocaat

Posted January 26, 2006 - 09:38 PM

You'll be surprised how quick that smog crap sinks when you throw it in the lake!! I was shocked how much it all weighed after I took the useless junk off!!!

• Scott V

Posted January 26, 2006 - 11:51 PM

Steer clear of the dyno-jet kit, do the dave mods, gear it down a little.

http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

Gotta wonder why some of the R riders are such pissy little waterheads.
Maybe they feel demeaned every time someone picks an L?

I'd rather deal with 'the kid' than some of these guys...
When's that forum-split gonna happen?

Dave

That's because they get their clock cleaned by all the Husky and
KTM bikes. At least when you by a L you are not trying to fool anyone. :thumbsup: Most L riders just want a simple bike that works fine and
is reliable. Let face it, none of these singles are all that fast if you
compared it to a 600 super sport. I am really happy with my re-jetted
L. I like to compare my setup to a KLR-650 because I almost bought that
instead. I just prefered Honda's quality overall. I also wanted the simple
air-cooled unit. That is a big plus to me.

http://www.pixentral...qqvxbCHOQbzt0XP
http://www.pixentral...Ev0ualca3bEHbAc

• Uconnputz

Posted January 27, 2006 - 04:18 AM

Uncork it....cheap to do and bike will have better power over he entire range and better throttle response. Check out 4stroke.com for detailed info.

• rkuckkahn

Posted January 27, 2006 - 09:57 AM

I guess it's water that weighs 10 lbs a gallon (or so). Wonder why gas is lighter but you're probably right. Maybe I will get a bigger tank......HHHHMMMM but then I wouldn't have to stop as much to fill me and the bike up. Decissions, Decissions.

• Motosprtman

Posted January 27, 2006 - 11:48 AM

Being old school - I often tought of all the hype over uncorking was just that hype. The motorhead in me - said do it anyway. So I completed last night the unorking of my newst addition an XR250R, removed the snorkle, and replaced the stock filetr with a UNI, rejetted, and installed a FMF Power Core IV pipe. It is NOT the same bike as before. It is now a rocket! technological advances in the design of aftermarket pipes (since I installed one in the 70's on an XL250) have made REAL power realizations, the old days pipes in my opinions were just loud. But now I am totally changed in my thinking, that a good aftermarket ipep and rejetting and opening up the air intake - are the single most importnat things you can do for you bike and you! you will be dazzled by the increase in power, once they are set up to run with a free breathing engine. My little XR could not loft the front wheel (in stock configuration) unless helped into the air by a bump or going uphill, now it is a mere blip of the throttle and you can wheelie it forever! or as long as you want to hang onto the throttle.

Tommorow I uncork my XR650L and install the jets in it. I can hardly wait!

• BOLT Performance

Posted January 27, 2006 - 12:10 PM

I don't know how you could be "old school" and a "Motor head" and NOT know that More air flow with MORE fuel does mean MORE POWER...

I don't care if it's a lawn mower... that's just common sense...

I usually own my bikes for 10 years or more... But I own them for about 6 hours before uncorking them... ! :thumbsup:

Being old school - I often tought of all the hype over uncorking was just that hype. The motorhead in me - said do it anyway. So I completed last night the unorking of my newst addition an XR250R, removed the snorkle, and replaced the stock filetr with a UNI, rejetted, and installed a FMF Power Core IV pipe. It is NOT the same bike as before. It is now a rocket! technological advances in the design of aftermarket pipes (since I installed one in the 70's on an XL250) have made REAL power realizations, the old days pipes in my opinions were just loud. But now I am totally changed in my thinking, that a good aftermarket ipep and rejetting and opening up the air intake - are the single most importnat things you can do for you bike and you! you will be dazzled by the increase in power, once they are set up to run with a free breathing engine. My little XR could not loft the front wheel (in stock configuration) unless helped into the air by a bump or going uphill, now it is a mere blip of the throttle and you can wheelie it forever! or as long as you want to hang onto the throttle.

Tommorow I uncork my XR650L and install the jets in it. I can hardly wait!

• Motosprtman

Posted January 27, 2006 - 01:49 PM

I fully understand the concept of airflow / fuel - was just reluctant to try it. Stuck in my ways of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and a reluctancy to dive into a brand new bike and change things. Thanks for the nice reply though...

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 27, 2006 - 02:32 PM

I fully understand the concept of airflow / fuel - was just reluctant to try it. Stuck in my ways of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and a reluctancy to dive into a brand new bike and change things. Thanks for the nice reply though...

On the L, Drill da slide, follow the recipe, youse'll be a happy campa.

D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BOLT Performance

Posted January 27, 2006 - 02:59 PM

Sorry buddy... Didn't mean to sound like a snot...! :thumbsup:

• deano

Posted January 27, 2006 - 04:00 PM

My neighbor has one. He uses it mostly on the dirt. He did the re-jetting and unplugged the smog crap and put on a White Bros exhaust with a K&N air filter. The best thing he did was have the suspension beefed up for a heavy bike/rider combo and put on a 48 tooth rear sprocket. Now it is a really nice bike, but my '94 XR 600 (FMF pipe, Summers jetting, K&N air filter, 50 t rear) will still run away from it.

• osbofam

Posted January 28, 2006 - 05:43 PM

The #1 mod , after
the rejeting, gearing, smog removal etc..
was the high compression piston & Hot Cam.
I already had done all the basics, and had added a header and
muffler. Once I added the piston and cam.
WOW what a diffference! :thumbsup:

• Motosprtman

Posted January 28, 2006 - 07:12 PM

I installed my dyno jet kit today and removed the snorkle. Stared quicker and seems smoother - less inhibited - no popping back at all on down hills now, but the power difference I was expecting - is not a whole lot different, seems to run better down low and thoughout the rev range, but it ain't like a oouuu ahhhh difference. I am though still running the stock pipe. Maybe that is the last BIG inhibitor, I know on my little XR250R the rejetting, uncorking and a FMF ipe made a BIG difference, sooooooooo maybe now it's time for a FMF Q series for the 650L....

Thanks Bolt no worries...

• OThumper

Posted January 28, 2006 - 08:48 PM

you recken he uncorked it yet ? 2-22-01

• GIANTac1

Posted January 29, 2006 - 09:48 AM

Do it, dont do it. Either way you will be happy! I got rid of the smog blog, did Daves mods and added a WB E-Series, what a difference from the stock set up! But its up to you, its your bike! Have fun!

• XR-rated

Posted January 29, 2006 - 10:14 AM

This was started nearly five years ago.

He could be dead by now.

• BOLT Performance

Posted January 29, 2006 - 11:26 PM

I installed my dyno jet kit today and removed the snorkle. Stared quicker and seems smoother - less inhibited - no popping back at all on down hills now, but the power difference I was expecting - is not a whole lot different, seems to run better down low and thoughout the rev range, but it ain't like a oouuu ahhhh difference. I am though still running the stock pipe. Maybe that is the last BIG inhibitor, I know on my little XR250R the rejetting, uncorking and a FMF ipe made a BIG difference, sooooooooo maybe now it's time for a FMF Q series for the 650L....

Thanks Bolt no worries...

Yes... the Pipe is HUGE... You are either running rich now or you'll be lean after pulling the pipe... No way that jet kit works for stock and aftermarket pipe both... I have always found the pipe to be the biggest factor in uncorking performance improvement... :thumbsup:

• Motosprtman

Posted January 30, 2006 - 06:14 AM

Yea, I agree that a free flowing aftermarket pipe is my last requirement for my 650L, I know the FMF pipe really woke up my XR250R, totally different bike.

Funny though, I installed a Bassani pipe on my XL250 back in 1974/5 and it actually robbed the bike of power! lost all the low end grunt and all it really did was enabvle the bike to rev better (higher) but I noted no performance improvement, had a local Honda shop install it and do the jetting. Therefore for years, I was reluctant to ty another aftermarket pipe. Until the FMF powercore IV on my lil XR250R and wow! what a HUGE difference!

• BOLT Performance

Posted January 30, 2006 - 01:18 PM

I found that increasing the head pipe size can really negatively affect the low end torque... So I have never upgraded that pipe... Just the silencer...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.