WHAT IS THE SINGEL BEST MOD FOR XR650L

51 replies to this topic
  • WILD_FX

Posted February 18, 2001 - 06:12 PM

My friend has just bought a 98 XR650L should he remove that groath off the side of the moter or???????

• bonez34

Posted February 20, 2001 - 07:16 PM

single best mod? i think the trash truck runs here on tuesday.

• WILD_FX

Posted February 21, 2001 - 07:30 PM

YA I KNOW MY DRZ EATS IT BAD 650cc EH SOMTHIN STINKS IN DA RED ZONE............

• Matt96xr6

Posted February 22, 2001 - 06:13 AM

Nice reply you to! Got a ton of info from your post!

Check out http://www.bajadesigns.com

In their catalog, they have a weight reduction step by step there. Also a rejetting kit for the bike.

• Fio

Posted January 24, 2006 - 04:52 PM

Jetting it properly. :thumbsup:

• Wheels up

Posted January 24, 2006 - 05:02 PM

My friend has just bought a 98 XR650L should he remove that groath off the side of the moter or???????

Yes he should take it off, but make sure he does it right. You cant just hack and slash. There is a proper procedure to doingit. Buy the kit to do it right.

As far as MODS go.....read this thread.

http://www.4strokes....?TOPIC_ID=11416

• TimBrp

Posted January 24, 2006 - 05:31 PM

With a big bike like that I'd say...ehh..remove the tank and slide a 650R underneath it, HeH. Seriously though, uncorking it first and then getting it to handle. I think suspension is key with these pigs. After I set my pig up it was night and day.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 24, 2006 - 06:02 PM

uncork the ol girl. then a new pipe, tank, headlight, engine mods?, bars, TIRES, just stuff like that.

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted January 24, 2006 - 06:23 PM

Get you a good loud exhaust. That Way they can hear the BRP coming and get out of the way. :thumbsup: :bonk:

• chicagobikefan

Posted January 24, 2006 - 08:24 PM

I rejetted to 55/158, changed the air filter to K&N, removed the airbox snorkel. At least a 10-15% power increase. Wheelies much easier.

I'll probably replace the tank, but I do like the look of the stock tank, so I'm not in big rush for that.

As far as the smog pump, I'll probably remove that too, soon -- but I don't think it robs much power or weighs much, so it's also not a high priority.

I had a Supertrapp IDS2 Quiet series on order, but it was canceled because it was backordered for over 20 days. I will order it again soon and report on how it goes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted January 24, 2006 - 08:36 PM

As far as the smog pump, I'll probably remove that too, soon -- but I don't think it robs much power or weighs much, so it's also not a high priority.

it robs about .5% power....and it weighs maybe a pound.....but it looks like a little octopus stuck to your bike.....hoses all over the place. its worth the 20 bucks for a removal kit just for the looks.

https://www.bajadesi...2.aspx?content=

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 24, 2006 - 08:37 PM

that was supposed to be a link to the kit but it doesnt work, go to jetting/carb & smog kits the smog kits....its the 3rd one.

• scooter1100

Posted January 24, 2006 - 09:06 PM

A larger tank was my first mod that made the biggest difference as to how and where I rode it. next air filter and snorkel removal/rejet

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 25, 2006 - 08:55 AM

Steer clear of the dyno-jet kit, do the dave mods, gear it down a little.

http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

Gotta wonder why some of the R riders are such pissy little waterheads.
Maybe they feel demeaned every time someone picks an L?

I'd rather deal with 'the kid' than some of these guys...
When's that forum-split gonna happen?

Dave

• dukeryder

Posted January 25, 2006 - 05:34 PM

Steer clear of the dyno-jet kit, do the dave mods, gear it down a little.

http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

Gotta wonder why some of the R riders are such pissy little waterheads.
Maybe they feel demeaned every time someone picks an L?

I'd rather deal with 'the kid' than some of these guys...
When's that forum-split gonna happen?

Dave

:thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup:

• BEANOXBR

Posted January 26, 2006 - 06:04 AM

am i right in thinking the XBR 500 motor is a sleeved down XR 650 motor

• khelton

Posted January 26, 2006 - 06:27 AM

1) Uncork - choking to death, buy the kit

2) FMF pipe..makes it a totally different bike..totally

3) Suspension - way , way too soft...

• rkuckkahn

Posted January 26, 2006 - 10:30 AM

Remove the snorkel, Uni Air Filter, carb mods (4strokes.com, 55/158 jetting, shim the stock needle, drill the slider holes), remove the smog if your model has it, I have a disc type exhaust E Series White Bros (works great), take off the wings if your model has em, trim the front fender leading edge and open up the trailing edge (oil cooling). My opinion you need to do the filter, carb, exhaust mods first and all together. The engine is an air pump and the whole circuit has to be opened up. Can't do it in pieces.

I kept my stock tank, bigger tanks means lots more weight at 10 pounds per gallon.

Adjust your suspension too, that can make a big difference.

Love my L............R is ok too just couldn't make it street legal and for commutes or rides on the roads the R, longer distance, is not as comfortable.

4strokes.com has lots of info on mods too. I like TT and 4stroke.

• dukeryder

Posted January 26, 2006 - 03:25 PM

I kept my stock tank, bigger tanks means lots more weight at 10 pounds per gallon.

I think you might be over estimating the weight of a gallon of Gasoline there;
1 gallon of gasoline equals 5.8 to 6.5 lbs depending on Grade, where it was refiend etc, I use 6.6lbs when doing W&B on an A/C.

I don't have a bigger tank, but I'd take a lot more range for a little added weight. Just eat less cheeseburgers :thumbsup: and drink less beer.

• martinfan30

Posted January 26, 2006 - 07:09 PM

amen! i have seen a huge improvement with reming snorkel, adding uni filter, drilling slide, using the dynojet kit and installing the e2 series w.b. silencer. the bike rips! oh, trash the emissions crap!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.